Who else does child-lead potty (un)training?

I let my children take charge of their toilet learning. I've never had a single potty training woe. My daughters were in panties, even at night, by 2 1/2. My son is already going all day in underpants at 27 months. He's a little further behind than the girls were, but I hear boys take a little longer. I don't force the issue or even actively encourage it...just let them come to it on their own.

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 9:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We are the same way. My husband and I let our son decide. He potty trained himself at 3 years and 2 months. No stress, no set backs, and he did all of it within a week. Yeah for him! He has been potty trained for 18 months now and we're not experience any of the troubles that many of my friends has.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I never force. Actually my 22 month old is taking and interest now. I was going to wait a little longer. Nothing to stress over.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I dont force or push it either. My oldest who is now 26 was out of diapers even at night at 2 years old. I had three potty chairs in my house in different rooms. She figured it out on her own. My youngest who is 8 just wasnt interested or ready until she was about 3 1/2. When she was ready she did it herself in about a week. She still had accidents at night until she was 5. I do not believe in forcing or punishing during potty training.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My son was in underwear at 2 1/2 at all times.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I never forced it. DD was trained at just before 2 years. I ran out of diapers and she took the hint to finish up! lol. DS also trained on his own at just over 3.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011