How do you get an extreamly hyper 7yr old girl to relax?

My 7yr old little girl wont sit down for nothing. I had to put her on a 4hr medicine to get her to focus in school. I don't like my daughter to be on meds. Is there anything else I can do besides using meds?

Danielle103104

Asked by Danielle103104 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• duct tape? lol, jk. maybe give her quiet time things to do? turn tv off, turn lights down......my son does the same thing, hes not medz but he is hyper!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Thank you so much, I will try it and see what happens.
    Danielle103104

Comment by Danielle103104 (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Check your local health food store for a good herbal tea blend, something with chamomile or catnip is good for relaxing.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 10:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My doctor used to tell me that she treated hyper kids and just looking at their diets sometimes helps. Keep a food diary of everything she eats and see if any of it corresponds with how she acts..just a thought..
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 11:03 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My 8 year old step daughters mother has her doped up on 20mg of amphetimen during the day and 5 mg after school. I think it's insane that doctors prescribe it. It's a damn drug!! I don't give it to her at our house. I'm sorry, but it's just their age. It has to be worked on daily by making small challenges. Sit down to do a puzzle for ten minutes then go run around outside for 30 mins. I'm not saying your daughter doesn't need the meeds. For school, but don't give them to her outside of school. That's where my al problem comes from. My step daughter mothers gives it to her on weekends and holidays. And then 5mg so she isn't hyper at home. She just doesn't want to deal with her.. They may think and act like they are older than 7, but really they are still a child. Try filling your house with art supplies. It really helps my step daughter to concentrate on something.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I give my daughter Ginseng as recommended by an herbalist. It works wonders, but she it took 3 days to get into her system.

MamaCyjo

Answer by MamaCyjo at 3:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• first and formost look at her diet. foods do crazy things. you can start by limiting sugar but that also includes carbs such as breads, pastas and rice. if you do give sugar or carbs try not to let it be processed foods. have her eat fruit to get her sugar and carbs. Also try warm baths with lavender . keep your home as dimly lit as you can when you are wanting her to relax. Give her if possible plenty of opportunity to get outside and run off energy. If its to cold find things for her to do inside to expel energy in a positive way. Also some people find that keeping them scheduled and occupied cuts down on thehyperness because thier time is filled. Sit down with her and do deep breathing excersises when she is being to hyper and needs to calm down. try starting her with reading for 5 minutes at a time then slowly increase the amount of time she sits and reads by 2 minute incrementsfor concentration.
    Tfor2

Answer by Tfor2 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2011