5 year old tantrums

My 5 yr old has CP and half the time is uncontrolable. When I get her up to get her ready for school it is a fight that I can barely get through. Once she is home from school she is mean to her sister and brother. I feel like I am at my wits end with her and don't know what else to do. I have tried to redirect her behavior, I have tried time outs, but nothing seems to be working. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

via86

Asked by via86 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• any idea what's upsetting her? sounds like maybe she doesn't want to be at school.
    my mother still talks of how wonderful my school was and how much I loved it.
    baloney. I hated it. I told her I hated it, and she blew it off and my being unreasonable.

I tired to tell her what was going on, but she dismissed it thinking I was exaggerating.

I finally told my teacher how I was being jumped on the playground, hands up my dress, etc. (I won't get in the the rest)
    but this was a alleged nice small wonderful school, and I was being gang banged at the age of 7.

She sounds like I was.
    BTW- if she's only 5, how long has she been in school? are you sure she's ready for it all?
    I wasn't started in kindergarten until I was 6, I know a lot of kids are enrolled earlier and earlier, but maybe she's not ready.

keep in mind that maybe someone is threatening her not to tell what's wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• She is special needs so she is in a class for 4-5 year olds with disabilities. Once she gets on the bus or to school she is a perfect angel, when she gets really mad at me or her father she tells she wants to go to school. She seems to love school from what I see. Her doctor told me that children with lifelong disabilities or problems have a tendency to act out, that they know something isn't normal about them and so they tend to act like she acts. But I have got to get it under control. I don't believe that it is right when we are in public or have company to be like "Oh she has cerebral palsy, so it's fine" which is what I feel her dr is telling me to do.
    via86

Comment by via86 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Could it be that she needs more sleep? Sounds like my kids when they are tired.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I really don't think that's it either, she goes to bed anywere between 7 and 8, and gets up at 6:30, and she has an hour nap at school.
    via86

Comment by via86 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would say try to fix the bedtime at 7 for a week and see how it goes. Mine go to bed at 7 and get up at 6. I have a 7, 4, and 1 that do that. The 4 and 1 yr old still take a nap everyday. I would give that a try at least.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I will give that a shot, the worse that can happen is everything stays the same :) thanks
    via86

Comment by via86 (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• *HUGS AND UNDERSTANDING*
    I have a 5 year old son, who hasn't been diagnosed with any disabilities....but we're going through the same thing. He absolutely loses it sometimes and it's becoming an issue in school as well as home. I've met with his teachers a handful of times already this year to try and get to the bottom of this (it startes as a "hey let's just nip this in the bud" and has become a "hey this is not going away"....we've tried timeouts, loss of privelages, a magnet system for good behavior, hugs and calm down deep breath time....I'm at a loss). He's bossy and mean to the other kids in his class...and he can be so with me at home too. I'm sorry that I don't have any sage words of wisdom for you....but I want to offer you strength and let you know you're not the only one who's dealing with this
    (I'm in tears right now about to meet with my son's teacher actually.)
    spiritedmum

Answer by spiritedmum at 11:56 AM on Jan. 20, 2011