Did you really offer me a purse for this???

Dh and I are still going back and forth about me getting my tubes tied vs. him getting a vasectomy. It's flat out better for him to get a vasectomy. Plus, he already said he would. I have made appointment after appointment. I research these doctors thoroughly. The last 2 have been close personal friends of my dad (he's a general surgeon). But he kept procrastinating. I know that the idea is scary enough but walking into an office and talking to the doctor has got to make you want to curl up in a ball and cry. In an effort to be sensitive and understanding I stopped making appointments and I let the issue go. UNTIL.....

On the phone with dh about 20 minutes ago and he says to me, "Do you even want anymore kids?"
"Do you hun?" I ask him
"No, I don't. I have my boys. I have my princess. I'm good...but are you?"
"Yes I am. I really think this is it for us." I tell him
"Cool. Sooooo about the vasectomy. I'm just not feeling it. How about when I come home I take my 2 week vacation. We get you to a doc, get you scheduled same week for the surgery and then that way i'm home for 2 weeks to help. Oh and if you do it... i'll buy you that purse you wanted. "
"I'm sorry, I think had something stupid in my ear. Did you just say you'd buy me a purse in exchange for my getting my tubes tied?" I ask him
"Um. That was bad huh?"

What the heck!! BTW ladies. He was dead serious about that purse though. I asked him again and he said yes he was being serious. He wants me to get my tubes tied for a purse that 42.99

Is this man loco or what? LoooooooooL

**If you've had your tubes tied please a little info would help me.
** Dh/So had a vasectomy...please info.

Thanks ladies.

****Okay i'm editing this to say, I was NOT mad. I actually found this quite hilarious. I'm not going to force him to do something he does not want to do. Which is why I stopped setting the appointments. No one should have to to anything they do not want to. But a purse? LoooooooooooooooooL for real? 

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 10:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• That is TOO funny! And I love your response! "I'm sorry. I think I had something stupid in my ear."

Men are so hysterical about vasectomy! I don't get it. It takes them hours or sometimes a couple of days to heal and feel better, but they would so much rather their wives be incapacitated for weeks (it often takes 6-8 and not just 2 weeks). You should do it just out of spite. He'll regret it when he's left with all the household responsibility and childcare and cooking and shopping for however long! LOL!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• LOL! I think it's funny, that would be great in on some TV sitcom. I know you don't find it funny though...

You guys should both go to a Dr. for medical counseling on the issue. He has a right not to get it done, and you also have a right to not get your tubes tied. Maybe with the help of some counseling from a Dr., you guys could compromise better.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My Ex had a Vasectomy. He went in and had it done on a Friday, went back to work on Monday. Very minimal pain & swelling, Tylenol took care of what little pain he did have.
    I have never had my tubes tied, so I don't know from experience, but from what I have heard it is much more complicated than a vasectomy.
    If I were you, I would tell my husband to go ahead and buy me that purse, cause I wanted to use it to whack him over the head with!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My husband is willing to have the vasectomy. He knows it is less invasive for him to have the procedure. I would tell him you will purchase the purse while he is having his procedure done.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 10:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• lol that was good. i had a tubal after i had my second kid and really there was nothing to it. i was a little sore for a few days but other than that i didnt have any problems. of course i belive it is a bit easier after you have a child because your tubes are right up front and easier to acess then if you havent had a child in a while. but truthfully i didnt care if it were me or him myself i figured i was already in the hospital so go ahead and get everything taken care of. i didnt think it was a big deal.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• had my tubes tied 9 months ago. the first 6 months was rough. Bad periods. heavy heavy heavy flow with horiible cramps tha had me in the bed for the first two days each cycle each month. i would go thru 3 boxes of tamps each time too. but the past 3 months have gone back to my normal periods before i had them tied. thank goodness. i couldnt handle that anymore. keeping fingers crossed that they remain like they are now. and of course for a while after the surgery you'll be in in a little discomfort. but i had mine done right after having my baby. so i just basicly hurt all over then. good luck though
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I'm glad you found it funny cuz I just started giggling. Poor dude is sooo scared HA! I did have mine tied and it was no biggie, I mean it surgery and they put you out but I was back to normal the next day and the scars are so tiny. If he is that scared and you are ok with it then I say just do it then no worries about more babies, you get pampered by him for 2 weeks :) and you get a purse, its kind of a win win.

Dont' forget to milk him waiting on you hand and foot LOL!!
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 10:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• @ samurai chica.

I probably should have put this in there.. I will... I did find it funny. I find most things he says funny. I wasn't mad or anything I was just like.. I purse? LoL really?
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My husband had a vasectomy and because his was an out patient surgery (getting your tubes tied is not) it saved us several hundred dollars, even with insurance. You might put it to your husband that way, sometimes they can take a little pain in the privates to avoid a big pain in the wallet. LOL Also, hubby was just fine afterward, very little pain and he was back to work very quickly. It's not that big of a deal for guys, but it is major surgery for you and there are the after effects as well. For him, it's a heal up and be done, it's not that easy for you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• We got it done together that wya neither of us felt put into pressure and we each felt the others pain.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2011