Exercise & Diet- how to lose 2 lbs/week?

So according to my calculations, I currently have a deficit of 317 calories from diet (BMR-1200 calories I eat a day-exactly) and I burn about 300 calories a day in exercise. So for the 5x a week I do this, it still only equals 3085 calories, less than 1lb. I need to lose 2lbs a week. Even if I burned 500 calories a day through exercise 7x a week, it still would not equal 7000. Do I need to do 2-a-days? Harder, longer exercise? I cant cut back on my diet anymore without being "unhealthy".
I would have to burn 850 calories a day in exercise 6x a week to just barely meet 2lbs loss. Really??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• me and my husband are both dieting now too. my advice quit lookin at all the numbers. it'll just drive you crazy. we try and burn anywhere from 500-800 calories a day. we watch the calorie intake too but dont sit there and add it up. we eat lean turkey meat. rather it be turkey breat fillets or turkey burgers. veggies. and of course we snack thru out the day on healthy snacks or no calorie snacks. we manage to lose about 2-5 week. it very week to week. one week i dropped 5 pounds. just depends. good luck i wish you the best
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Do short bursts here & there. This will rev your metabolism & keep it that way all day. Do your daily work out routine & like every other hour, hop & the treadmill & run or walk real hard for only 10 min. If you do these short bursts during the day along with your regular work out, you will burn a ton more calories. When we get our blood pumping for 10 min. or more, our metabolism stays increased for a while. So if you do these short bursts throughout the day, you will burn a munch more calories. Even just cleaning real hard here & there will do the trick. If you're counting your calories like online or something, those don't take into consideration your boosted metabolism, so you may be burning more calories than what they say.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• keeping count of everything DOES get stressful, once you find your knack for dieting, quit counting so much & just do it. Counting is never 100% accurate anyway. I usually lose more weight than what i think i will lose just from counting.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• what's the rush? I don't know what your body frame and height is, but 1200 calories sounds low to me as it is.

why not try the plan you have now, and see how it works for you?
    the 3500 calories is only a guideline, everyone's different!
    it depends on your metabolism and lots of things. Personally, I'm exercising 15 minutes a day, and eating between 3000- 4000 calories a day and I'm loosing weight. I imagine that down the road once i loose more I won't be able to keep the exact same plan, but right now it's working just fine.

So yes, I'm a glutton, but I'm a glutton that lifts weights, has more muscles than the average woman, shoulders like a football quarterback and my metabolism is on the high end of normal.

I recommend Richard simmons, water aerobics, and nutridiary.com for the eating system.
    good luck!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't look at numbers either. I know people say to try and count calories, but that doesn't help me. I just try to cut down on portions. I try to chew slowly. if you eat too fast your mind can't tell you your full until you have eaten too much. I get my exercise. and drink plenty of water. Hang in there Momma.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree that I wouldn't worry about the numbers and to slow your pace. But you may also want to look into a Body Bug....the same things the contestants on The Biggest Loser wears to track how many calories you burn....and there are ways to boost your daily burn. You can add a walk into your daily routine, you can listen to music while doing the dishes and dance to the beat.....you can lift some 2-5 pounds weights while watching tv. Have a race with the kids to see who can pick up all the toys the fastest...walk to the local store instead of driving....

If you are in a snowy state, shovel the driveway, etc
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree with PP's. Good Luck!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• ^yep.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Slow and steady is best.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• don't forget, your body NATURALLY burns calories from every day work.....the average person (depending on diet and metabolic rate) burns approximately 2000 calories per day just from performing every day tasks and you need to figure this into the equation of how many calories you burn during exercise. So, for instance, let's use the 2000 calorie burn average....and you do an additional 300 calories per day via exercise...that's 2300 calories per day x 7 days = 16100 now add in your 1200 calories you eat per day: 1200 x 7 = 8400. 16100 less 8400 = 7700 divided by 3500 = 2.2 lbs. per week.

Now, these are all estimates as it really does depend on your metabolic rate...if your metabolism is slow, that 2000 could be less, if you have a higher metabolism, it could be upwards of 2000 calories per day before exercise.

Don't get discouraged!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2011