What type of degree or backround do you need to become a 911 dispatcher?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 10:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Around here, they will train you. As it helps to have an EMT/Paramedic background, you're usually not going to see anyone who has previously worked out in the field, now sit behind the desk. Once you've been out there, you don't want to be confined. LOL! Although, I bet there are some retired EMTs and Paramedics.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• most require 33 wpm typing, full federal background check, no criminals in your family, 25 page application, data entry experience (call center type thing)
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:52 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Where i live they do all of your training, have a GED or diploma, you have to be CPR certified and pass a criminal background check.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• There were some openings for this locally not long ago. They didn't require any degree or past experience.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I applied for a 911 dispatcher position last year. They did not require a college degree but if you had one in business administration, criminal justice, social work, etc then you could receive a much higher pay. The requirements to apply were high school diploma, no criminal background, be drug free, etc. They then took all the applicants and gave them a test. There were about 20 people in the room and they said that they had two more sessions like this with about 20 more people in each session. The test was multiple choice about different things. Mainly, questions like "what type of person are you- shy, outgoing, critical, caring", you could only choose one even if more than one applied to you. The director said that only 25% of the applicants pass this part. Of the 25% who passed, they were then called back to take another test called the Criticall. Cont..

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Cont... This test was a bit more difficult. It tested your wpm, reaction time, decision making, data entry, memory recall, etc. Of those who took it only 10% would pass it. I got a 100 on everything except the data entry. I failed it just by a few points. ( I have never done data entry). I have up to a year to retake that part of the test, but so far I have chosen not to, because if I did pass and I was hired, then the work schedule would not work for my family at this moment. Anyways, for those that make it beyond that test, then you have to do a drug test, physical, do 4 hours of observation in the 911 room, and then finally 2-3 people will be chosen to have an interview with the director and assistant director. They will then choose from the 2-3 people who to hire. If more than one position is open then they may interview more if that many have made it this far. Cont...

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Cont.. Once hired, you have to go through a 40 hour POST certified dispatcher training (this was for the state of Georgia not sure about other states). You will also have a 6 month training were you are with a partner learning how to answer calls, dispatch the appropriate response team, etc. It is a lot of training, and it a very emotional job but it can be rewarding. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2011