Utah man accidentally shoots son, mother-in-law

CENTERVILLE, Utah —
A woman and a 2-year-old boy were shot when a gun accidentally fired a round injuring the two Monday evening.

The boy's 32-year-old father was handling a .40 caliber handgun, showing his in-law a newly purchased gun while sitting on the couch at his home on 133 East Rockmanor Dr.

Police say while the man was handling the gun he pulled the trigger and the weapon discharged.

"He thought that the gun was unloaded, but it was not. When he pulled the trigger the bullet traveled through his mother in laws calf and struck the two year old in the foot," said Centerville Police Lt. Paul Child.

The father was sitting next to his 54-year-old mother-in-law on the couch with his son next to her when the gun went off.

Officers say the gunshot seriously damaged the boy's foot. Investigators say the shooting appears to be an accident and even though the father has some experience with firearms, he broke some basic gun handling rules.

"He does not have a concealed weapons permit, we don't know if he's had any formal training in the use of firearms. With use of any firearm, there are basic rules: never point your firearm at anything don't wish to destroy; keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you're ready to fire; treat all guns as if they're loaded," said Centerville Police Lt. Paul Child.

The 2-year-old was transported to Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City and his grandmother went to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. They are both said to be doing okay.

Looks like this man needs to go through gun safety class again. Why would you demonstrate how to use a gun while it's loaded let alone around a child? He should have been smart and checked the gun, guns don't load by themselves.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-accidental-shooting-centerville,0,4367315.story

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I buy that the bullet hitting his son was an accident. . . . . . . yeah, that's all I got for now.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My first thought: He shot his MIL? I wonder if he should start making other plans for Thanksgiving. He might not be invited this year.

It just proves the old saying:  Guns don't shoot people.  People with loaded guns shoot people.

I'll refrain from making any judgments on the man's intelligence, but I do have wonder "what was he thinking?"

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• This happens more then we think. One of my husbands cousins just shot himself in the foot. He claims he was cleaning the gun. Having been raised around guns and knowing gun safety I sorta was like sure you were. I think people mess around with their guns and then things like this happens. I am all for gun rights and my own kids know about firearm safety and if need be could defend themselves. But they were also educated at a young age and know guns are not toys.

Answer by gemgem at 11:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• All guns should be handled as if loaded for this exact accident!!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Very sad. If you own a gun you better respect it...learn it , protect yourself and the ones around you by taking lessons.........

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• eesh! Poor baby!
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 11:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• this is one of many reasons I don't like guns.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Why in the world would you even have a gun out around a two year old? THEN why would you PULL the trigger to show it off?
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:15 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Forget returning to gun safety classes OP... he should have his 2nd amendment right revoked. His 2 YR OLD SON was sitting right there! And now that poor boy will pay for his father's stupidity for the rest of his life! That man should no longer be allowed to have a firearm.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Poor baby!! That man had no business handling a gun, he clearly doesn't know anything about gun safety. You always treat a gun as if it were loaded.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2011