Babies & Food

When did you start letting your baby taste foods, and what was the first food you let your baby eat? Did anyone skip rice cereal? Any advice, warnings, book recommendations?

FYI I plan on making her own food.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both my boys started around 7-8 months. My first started with a steamed green bean and my second started with avocado slices.

We never did rice cereal (waste of calories!) and we never did purees, they just ate the same food we were eating.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Making food is really easy. I think my daughter did oatmeal then veggies (no rice because it's constipating). I think her first veggie was squash.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• get a list of foods to avoid for the first year from your doctor.
    I started letting my DD2 taste what I was eating at about 3 months old, maybe even earlier.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 11:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• all 3 of mine had the rice cereal but not for very long. eventually i started giving them real oatmeal or cheerios when they were able to pick things up and sit well in a highchair. i started giving them table food around 8-9 months things like cooked pasta, real peas, cheerios, gerber puffs, etc.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I skipped cereal completely. Theres no need for it. I started letting him taste food at about 9 mos and he was on solids at a year. I think the first thing he tried was pears. I made all of his food myself so I knew what was in it. Just ease the child into trying new things. Dont rush it. Wait at least a week in between each food and watch for any kind of allergic reaction. Follow your instincts.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 11:10 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i didnt do the rice cereal. my DD's all started with veggies at 6 months old
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:12 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• While planning on leaving solid foods off the menu until 'at least' 6mo, both of my kids reached out and grabbed a bone off my plate (one chicken, one lamb) and would NOT give it back. So, accidentally, both my kids' first food was meat. After that, I chopped up some of what we were eating and let them feed themselves.

I read the ingredient list and the nutrition panel on the 'baby' cereals and decided that sand was probably healthier, and skipped it entirely in favour of actual food: bananas, cooked carrots (my little ones had teeth WAY earlier), apples, potatoes, meats avocado, squash... I also skipped breads and other processed foods until they were closer to a year.

Do not feed babies under about a year honey, ever --it has botulism spores and is too dangerous for babies (or the elderly) to eat. Broccoli, cabbage, kale, spinach... all have a compound unsafe for little kids to eat much of, so leave it for a few years.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:16 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I started around 6 months and used a little oatmeal with fruits. I am not abig carb person and think it would be healthier to have real food and not just a filler like cereal.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• around 8 months
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 9:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2011