School bus driver arrested and suspended for allegedly driving drunk with gun

HYRUM, Utah —
A Cache County school bus driver was arrested and suspended Friday on suspicion of driving under the influence with a gun.

Tamara Gustaveson, 56, was arrested after police say she failed a field sobriety test in the parking lot of a Ridleys Market grocery store in Hyrum. Cache County Sheriff's Lt. Chad Jensen says Gustaveson told police that she was cut off by another driver at about 7:50 a.m. Friday and got into an argument with that driver in the parking lot of the store.
When officers arrived on the scene, they detected an odor of alcohol from Gustaveson. Jensen says after the test she was placed into custody.

Officers then searched the school bus and found a firearm which belonged to Gustaveson, who has a concealed weapons permit.

"She probably has 30 to 45 students on her bus at any given time," says Jensen. "People who are impaired often cause some pretty tragic events and it would be devastating with what could happen with 35 to 40 kids on her bus."

News of Gustaveson's arrest spread quickly amound parents in the area. They were worried of what could have happened that morning.

"That just frightens me. I mean I'm just amazed to hear that. I drive my daughter to school every day and she hasn't rode the bus. Actually now I probably will prohibit it," said parent, Christine Forman.

Gustaveson was booked into the Cache County Jail on suspicion of DUI, a class A misdemeanor, because she had children in her bus prior to the incident, and on suspicion of possession of a firearm by an intoxicated person, a class B misdemeanor.

School district officials say they are shocked over what happened. They say Gustaveson has been a bus driver for Cache County schools for 25 years and had never faced disciplinary action.

School officials says she has been suspended from her job while the investigation in under way.

Police say she could face child endangerment charges.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-school-bus-driver-arrested-driving-drunk-gun,0,7928007.story

All the school did was suspend this driver. She didn't lose her job. I'm sorry but that is just horse shit. She endangered a lot of lives while she was driving drunk. School says this is the first tim,e she has ever been in trouble. NO it's the first time she was caught. She's may have been driving drunk with children on the bus for years. I think she should be fired.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think she should be fired, but I bet the union protects her from it unless she is found guilty.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• At my old HS there was a driver that picked up a boy by his neck and threw him into his seat. He is still a bus driver.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• OMG!! Are they waiting to fire her until she has been found guilty? That's the only reason I could think of for just suspending her.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:12 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree, she should have been fired.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 11:12 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• doesn't surprise me at all. my mother was so naive when I was growing up. I had some of the meanest bus drivers, one day the trashy one had 2 guys on the bus with her, and it really frightened me.
    this is one reason I'm all for arming kids with cell phones and cameras so they can alert people to things and get this stuff on tape!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Oh my.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Nice- Such a great revenue and audience for drunk with a weapon...NOT UT- interesting location!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The lady should be fired
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Fired, and fined....driving drunk with STUDENTS on the BUS presently? Good lord!
    Perhaps..even some jail time-what if there was an accident?

What do you think would of happened then?

SO SAD!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• How horrible. Are they going to release what her alcohol level was?
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2011