Is it weird that I have blank spots in my memory?

When I think to my past and some parts of my childhood, I cannot remember certain things. Events that took place but don't remember anything that happened at the event. Staying the night at my aunt's house I hardly remember. Why is this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Health

• Because your brain has undergone some major re-wiring in your life, and in preparation for the growth of a new, important part, has severed connections to unused memories.

It is common for people who have left their original language and not used it in their adult lives to lose all but the most basic vocabulary by the time they're 40 or 50. Most people remember early events in their lives much more like photographs than stories, except for stories that they've told or been told a lot over the years --flashes of familiar clothing, or the view from a window, or someone's facial expression, rather than 'and then this happened and then this happened'...

By 25, people have lived more than 9000 days... lots to remember. And forget.

Memory needs 3 things to function well: enough sensory detail to be distinct from the background, a framework to hold it all together (stories help) and a way of recalling it --a momento or photo.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• im sure thats normal. a lot of people cant remember things from many years ago. and our memory works in weird ways too, sometimes we cant remember what we ate yesterday but we can remember what we wore 10 years ago on a certain day. i wouldnt worry about it too much unless it is affecting your daily life.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• No, I can't remember a lot of things from my childhood. Your brain decides for you what to store and what to dump.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I cannot remember anything until about the time I was 9.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• me too, even now, i think i want to put certain things behind me tho, so i block them out permanently!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 11:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I can't either. My mom always likes to say it's because of my car accident when I was 17, but I couldn't remember things before that. Maybe it contributes to things I can't remember now, but...there was a lot of trauma in my childhood, so I just think that's why I am this way.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:19 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Sometimes your brain tends to file away some memories to make room for new ones. It doesn't mean there is anything traumatic at that time. I have lots of those spots. In fact, I went to the Hypnotherapist a while back and when he asked a question to see how far back I could go to remember something happy, I could only go back as far as when my kids were little. I can remember some things from my childhood, but not all. Sometimes, if I am in a certain situation a memory will pop back into my head. That's all pretty normal.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:20 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Wow, thank you for posting this. I was surprised at the asnwers. I had no idea this was so common. (Happens to me too - I kind of thought I was a freak, to be honest). This was a very postsecret moment for me - hey, I'm not alone! Thanks again.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• There are lots of things I can't remember from my childhood..and sadly even my teen years. Guess it's just another reason to not focus on the past and always look to a brighter future. Hopefully one I can remember of course! Lol..
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 11:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I am the same way! Things that I do remember are weird, and shouldn't matter. Don't worry!
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 18, 2011