What do you think of this question?

"How are you supposed to know where you're headed if you can't remember where you've been? huh?"

When you read this...what would you think the person who said it is feeling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Just for Fun

• very confused!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 11:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would think they were feeling a little sad maybe.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Confused. I get that way all the time.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think they're thinking that it's good to move forward, but don't forget about your roots, or your past experiences, because that is what has made you who you are, and has made you into the person that is going to be able to move into your future.

It's sort of like that saying, the best thing you can give someone is wings and roots... :-)

Also, if someone were to say that to me, then I would think that they thought I was "putting on airs" or that they were thinking that you were forgetting your roots, like maybe someone who is now successful / wealthy, but is ashamed of the fact that they grew up poor, with parents that worked hard but struggled, that sort of thing.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It's one of those trite 'people who do not understand history are bound to repeat it' sayings that's been muddled with 'if you don't know where you are, how can you get where you want to go?'

The answer is 'with a GPS'... You don't need to know anything about where you were to get where you want to go. People with profound amnesia manage to continue living and accomplishing things, with no memory of their personal past.

I've driven across North America and for most of the time had only the vaguest idea where I was. 'Where I was yesterday' became irrelevant as soon as I'd left.

People who are still living in the excuses of their past tend to hang on and act as if what happened yesterday matters to the choices made today --while they might inform those choices (not making that mistake again, kind of thing), they do not direct them.

The dice don't know what the last roll was.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:29 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Sounds like they're lost and confused.
    I don't agree with that statement though. Where you've been does help mold you as a person, but it never determins your future.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• There'er moving forward and not letting their past define their future.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• confused?
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011