What were some different ways that you told your lil one they were adopted and how young did you start?

We adopted a lil guy born @ the first of the year. We are approaching his one year birthday! Hard to believe. We met the birthmom when he was 2 days old and have had a 6 mo and 1yr visit since then. We have taken pictures everytime and are working on a lil storybook. A friend also gave us the book called Blessing from Above, and read it every night. I was curious as to how others told their precious blessings and what the reactions were.... positive or not?

TiggerNemo

Asked by TiggerNemo at 11:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Adoption

• I adopted my son, who just turned 14. I was there when he was born and he has always known that he was adopted. I explained to him as a child that he grew in another mommy's tummy and I have kept pictures of him with his birth mother when he was a baby and I have pictures of all of his siblings(some pics are with him, but most are not). He is the 10th of 11 children that I know of, and he has always known that he was chosen. He has never questioned it, and often tells me "I'm so lucky I have you!" lol...I am the lucky one, he is an exceptional kid. Good luck with your little guy! They grow so fast.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Can I offer an answer as an adoptee?

There is not ONE moment in my life that I didn't know. My "birth" announcements stated, "I wasn't expected, I was selected." My baby book was specific for adoptees. And my favorite book for many years was "The Chosen Baby."

My adoption was treated as a fact of life. And I felt a bit sorry for my "expected" peers... *I* had been chosen by my parents, while theirs were "stuck" with them!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My bio-father wanted nothing to do with me and when my mother married her husband adopted me. I was three. I do not remember it any other way then him being my dad. When I got old enough and asked questions my mother told me that my biofather was not ready to be a daddy yet but that god chose me the dad I have now to guide me and help me and teach me and love me. My husband is 100 percent adopted and he adopted my son. I told him the same thing my mother told me. And my son said" if i could choose a dad it would be the one i have b/c i love him". Adoption is a blessing and im sure you will explain it just right.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My twin sons were adopted when they were embroys. They have always known that they were adopted. The language is different from traditional adoptions as I am their birth mother (technically, I'm their gestational carrier). I tell them that they were a gift to our family from their genetic parents.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Thank you for all your answers. Our lil guy is such a joy and I wouldn't change it for the world. His birth mom and I have a special bond, even with out knowing each other before. She is our HERO and I love her with all my heart! Thank you again and may God continue to bless you this year.
    TiggerNemo

Comment by TiggerNemo (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The chosen and 'stuck with' story backfired in my afamily. it pitted my amothers bio-son against us, her adoptive children. not so much a good, kind, and loving thing for a Mother to set ALL her kids up with.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 10:09 AM on Jan. 20, 2011