How does everyone feel about putting cereal in the babys bottle at 1mo of age to help sleep through the night?

proudmama325

Asked by proudmama325 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 1 month?  Doesn't that hurt their stomachs?  I don't actually know, I didn't start that young.  Can their digestive tract even handle cereal at that age?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I personally am not against putting cereal in the bottle. ONLY if the child needs that extra food. Some children are not satisfied with BM or Formula alone, so it is required to give them something more to satisfy them. Even if it's to help them sleep longer at night. I did that with my son for a while, but he started to refuse the bottles due to the cereal, so I switched back.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• NO. One month olds are NOT supposed to sleep through the night. Go ahead and give it to your kid if you want to give them a bowel blockage at that age.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:36 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It's an aspirating risk, a long-term health risk and 1 month olds aren't *supposed* to sleep through the night.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:36 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• At 1 month, the reason why they don't sleep thru the night is because they need to eat often since their tummys are only the size of their fist. By putting cereal in their body, you are depriving them of nutrition that they need to grow.

along with that, their digestive tract is not mature enough to do anything with it until about 8 months.

At this age, them sleeping thru the night is more about the convienience to the mom than health of the baby. Not a good idea.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't 'feel' anything about it --but I do know that the research is clear: you can't overfeed a baby today to stop it being hungry tomorrow, anymore than you can eat on Sunday 'for the week', or sleep on the 19th 'for the month.'

Bodies have ongoing needs that do not magically disappear because it's dark out, or because it's inconvenient to our factory-scheduled modern lives. Babies grow through the night, meaning they use almost as many calories while they're sleeping as they do when they're awake --unlike adults who are not (or at least shouldn't be) growing. Since they're depleting calories while they sleep, they wake hungry.

Feeding a baby concentrated calories (which baby cereal is NOT --it's 'filler' with very few calories) even 10 times as much as they need all day and all night for a week will have NO effect on their hunger a day later. They'll be obese, but not 'full' longer than it takes to process the food.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think you're a dumbass if you think cereal at that age is something a baby needs.... As for not getting enough to eat and starting cereal because of it, YOU'RE WRONG! You should feed on demand, and if that means getting up 2 or 3 times a night, then that's what you do, no matter whether you're breastfeeding, or bottle feeding.......
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Personally, I don't believe in doing it. I think its wrong, giving them extra calories that they don't need. Once a baby has fat cells, those fat cells never will go away, so if your baby is especially chunky, he/she will most likely battle weight issues his/her whole life.
    L0v3beingAm0mmy

Answer by L0v3beingAm0mmy at 11:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think it's ridiculous and lazy on the mom's part just to try to get more sleep or keep the baby asleep longer.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Hell no. Unless the doctor suggests it for something like reflux. But to sleep? Hell no.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2011