Best/Easiest way to Clean a Garden Tub?

My new house has a garden tub in the master bath. I'm excited about it, but the thought of cleaning it has me a little scared. How do you clean the jets, and how often should you do it? Do you just get in the tub to scrub it down?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 11:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Cleaning the jets is something I do every other month. I run hot water into the tub to 3 inches over the highest jet. Put in 1 tabelspoon of dishwasher detergent and a cup of vinegar (bleach if you use chemicals). You run the jets for 20 minutes. You then drain the water and run cold water and flush the jets for 10 minutes. This is according to the plumber I called and asked because I didn't know what to do when we bought this house either. Scrubbing the tub is just like scrubbing any other tub. I use those exfoliating gloves (after I retire them from my personal use). It really gets that soap scum easily. And I use a toothbrush to get into the tight spaces around the faucet and the jets.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I'm looking for a good way to do this too. For now, I keep a magic eraser by the side of the tub and when I get in to take a shower I will wipe down the inside of the jets with it. Our facet is at the other side of the tub in the corner and there is no way I can turn it on without getting wet.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2011