6 weeks Post partum, Breastfeeding and I am having eggwhite cervical mucus?

I had to take a break from breastfeeding for a week and a half due to an infection so my baby wasn't nursing instead she was supplemented. Now I am 42 days out from her birth and having copious amounts of eggwhite cervical mucus, does this mean I could be preparing to ovulate?

MamaCyjo

Asked by MamaCyjo at 11:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The hormone swings following pregnancy are the reason most cultures have taboos about sex before baby's 2 or 3 months old: you're probably ovulating all over the place, and getting pregnant right now is really dangerous.

Most women will ovulate before their periods return, so lots of moms go from pregnant to nursing to pregnant with no 'last monthly period' to talk about at the next maternity appointment.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Breastfeeding is NOT birth control, you still ovulate. So yes, you're probably ovulating. So if you're having sex, be careful, unless you want Irish twins.
    Anonymous

• If you stopped nursing suddenly, yes. I assume you were pumping, though? (for future reference, I've never heard of an infection that required a delay in nursing). Pumping can be less effective than nursing and possibly trigger hormones... but it's also possible just to have it. I haven't ovulated since conceiving my 22 month old (that I am aware of) and I still get EWCM sometimes. Freaked me out the first few times!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I ovulated the entire time I nursed. Breastfeeding isn't a reliable method of birth control.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It could mean ovulation is coming, especially since you went through a period of not nursing. However, I had fertile quality cervical mucus constantly for the first few months my daughter nursed (then went to completely dry). So it could just be breastfeeding hormones. You'll just have to wait it out and see. I'd treat it as though you are fertile, though, just as a precaution.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would expect that you are indeed fertile again. It's a good idea even without the signs to assume that you ARE fertile till you have definitive proof that you are not.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would definantly say u are ovulating. Be careful because it is sooo easy to get pregnant right after baby, breastfeeding or not. I ovulated and had period throughout the entire time I was breastfeeding.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Could be. BF isn't a reliable form of birth control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It was a staph infection, I had to pump and dump. But I didn't pump as often as the baby nursed. The antibotics was why I couldn't nurse, they were an L4 on the safety chart or some junk like that. I really don't know what all that means.
    MamaCyjo

Comment by MamaCyjo (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Possibly pregnant and maybe a doc appt will help clear things up.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011