Inexpensive birthday party for a 5 year old?

Any suggestions he pretty much likes everything but i still want to make it extra special

Marie_07

Asked by Marie_07 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• A treasure hunt!!!! Make a map out of your yard and place hidden treasure!
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Legos always are a big hit
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• We always included '$15 max gift value' on the invitations... just so people really understood that we weren't trading a magician, a bouncy castle, a meal and $30 goody bags for a present of significant value.

We did mid-afternoon parties, with as many guests as the kid's new age (5 invitees for a 5yo), 90 minute time limit, homemade cake and ice cream, juice for the kids, cake and ice cream and coffee/tea for the parents (invites also said 'please bring a parent'), did some kind of craft for as people were arriving --and to take home in their goody bag, took a polaroid of each kid at the party (to take home) and gave pencils or stickers (no candy, ever) as well. Goody bag investment for the whole party: $20.

We'd play a few non-competitive games, decorate with streamers and balloons, have cake, presents and say goodbye. Time for free play as the table was cleared or being set, and everyone went home in a good mood.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I did a treasure hunt for my son and his friends at that age...I got some fabric and sheet foam and make kerchiefs and eyes patches and we had a simple pirate theme party with a treasure hunt that lead to a 'chest of chocolate gold' which acted as gift bags for the guests my son loved it and the other parents thought it was a fun idea...good luck!
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Party City has a lot of reasonably priced, themed items. Having the party at your house is the cheapest (no rental or obligation to buy their goodies or cake). Also, the dollar tree has some nice items for goody bags (although you have to read the packages and check for age appropriateness and sturdiness). Also, you can do the cake yourself. There are books that make this easy! There's also a group here on CM that is dedicated to party planning, on any budget! GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• What I did for my 5 year old son was I had his party at my sisters house. She made his cake because she is a cake maker. I went to the dollar store and bought all the streamers and balloon, games gifts and games. Walmart has good priced theme decorations. The games I played was picture bingo where they matched the pictures. I did a scavenger hunt where I hid objects around the living room while the kids werent looking. What made it fun was that I had gifts that they also find that they keep such as candy or box of puzzles. Make sure you write the objects down and where you hid them. The one with the most items wins..I played musical chairs..I also went out and bought a dancing game for the wii called "Just Dance" and the kids had a dancing contest. They loved it. They played throughout the rest of the birthday..Good luck..
    Sunshine2603

Answer by Sunshine2603 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011