My husband found out this morning that his boss was looking at porn on his computer.

So my husband was out of work yesterday. This morning he goes in and notices someone had been on his computer b/c he had to enter his password. Usually he just turns the monitor off and doesn't log out. So he goes into the history and sees A LOT of porn was watched on his computer yesterday. He asked a co-worker about it, and that guy said that DH's bosses computer crashed so he had to use my DH's computer for some stuff. So DH doesn't know if he should go to the main boss about it or not. He's afraid that if his boss finds out, that he will find a reason to fire DH. But if the main boss finds out, he may not believe DH when he says it wasn't him...and then he will get fired. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Before pointing figures, your husband should go to the main boss and inform them that he was not at work yesterday, and someone looked up porn on his computer. Then if the main boss asks who used the computer he should tell and then let the main boss do the investigating. I do believe it should be reported.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would --the history would make it obvious your dh wasn't in the building for the surfing...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree with the pp.

If he doesn't come forward with the info, then when it does come out, and it will - it's going to look like he's guilty. The main boss is going to be like "well, if it wasn't you, why didn't you say something..."
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think DH needs to first confirm with Boss who did the porn that he was on his computer yesterday. Simple question, nothing about porn, just confirm from him that he was actually there.

Next, he should go directly to the head boss...and do not pass GO or collect $200! Immediately. This could be a huge problem for him. Explain to the higher boss that he is in a sticky situation and just wants to nip any trouble in the bud. Otherwise this could cost him his job. Most likely they will check boss' computer and find more of it.

Good luck, tough situation for dh, sorry.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Does your bosses place do timeclocks or anything like that? Could one of the other employees vouch for the fact that DH wasn't there yesterday and they saw the boss using the computer?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i would because computer use at work can me superivised and the bosses may know what everyones activity on their computers were. so if they ever had a question because it was his computer he would be the one they are going to look at even if his boss used his own account its still from your husbands computer. i would definatly report it.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I believe the MKSers had the best answer. That is exactly what I would do.
    Ascott727

Answer by Ascott727 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree it needs to be reported. Your husband does bare some responsibility here. He did not log out. He left his work station and himself open to attack by anyone who could access his computer. All businesses have their own operating procedures...but at my husbands job..not logging out is a valid reason to be terminated. It is a huge security issue. Their IT guys aren't protecting the business either. An idle computer should auto-log off in no more than 15 minutes.I hope it all works out, but he needs to protect himself, always.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Sorry...does your HUSBAND'S place do timeclocks?
    Anonymous

• He should talk to his boss about what he found on his computer, and make sure he has documentation (do print screens of the history and the dates/times) to back up his story of not being there if something is done by the higher-ups. This is a really sticky situation, but I think that going over his bosses head isn't a good idea. If his boss felt comfortable enough watching porn on your DH's computer, he is probably doing it on his own as well. Senior management may even know that he does and don't care.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2011