Kentucky Derby Cocktail Party Menu?

I am hosting a cocktail party for some of my DH's company's executives and their wives. We are doing it during Derby week - and I've never hosted a Derby party! (There are two other parties the same week hosted by different executives, it's a tradition in their company). There will be 16 couples.

Are there any traditional foods I should make? I know about the mint juleps, but are there any other cocktails that are a must-have?

I want to make a good impression, I haven't met all of their wives yet. I'd hate to have them think I'm a stupid northerner.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 11:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Food & Drink

• If it's something that is that big of a deal I would ask a caterer to do it but if you do it yourself you ABSOLUTELY should have Derby Pie and Benedictine.

You can google the recipes and pick the one you like the best. Both are fairly simple to make.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Kentucky Hot brown sandwiches ( Turkey, Bacon and Tomato- open faced) and Derby Pie ( Pecan Pie with chocolate)
    http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/kentucky-derby-party/Detail.aspx
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I know a lady who always made Bourbon Chocolate Chip Cheesecake every year.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 12:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Baked Ham, green beans with lemon, chocolate pecan pie - yummmy!
    newtocooking

Answer by newtocooking at 1:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2011