39 weeks and how can I hurry things up??

Hello! I'm 39 weeks pregnant. The last 3 weeks i've been checked for dilation... and nothing. My last check was yesterday. He said there was no dilation but I had started thinning out a "little". Having sex obviously hasn't sped things along, so I was wondering if there were anything you guys have tried and had worked? Anything will help!! Thank you! :)

miranda_nichols

Asked by miranda_nichols at 11:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• fast walking, and it works!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 11:52 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I've heard that walking, sex, castor oil, warm baths, etc will help.  Then there are more extreme things.  I've heard of women breaking their own water and such.  I'm not suggesting any of these, just saying what I've heard, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Not sure I'd fast walk at 39 weeks but I would walk

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You could ask your doctor to put you into a barbituate coma...

What is the rush? You hoping for a baby with immature lungs? You trying to have a baby who spends a week in the neo-natal intensive care?

You may very well be 2 or even 3 weeks less pregnant than your 'dates' and 'measurements' suggest --maybe even more than that. All this hurrying and being obsessed with NEVER having 'overdue' babies is making for a lot of very, very wealthy pediatricians and hospitals, and a lot of extra risks for mom and babe.

You know that the US now has infant and maternal mortality (death) rates similar to India, right?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I was determined to have my baby before I was 38 weeks. ( I had her at 37w6d) We hadn't had sex in a while... so, we did it, and I went into labor immediately after! It works for some people, and not for others! It definitely worked for us! Once the contractions started, I walked & walked around our house to keep them going!
    L0v3beingAm0mmy

Answer by L0v3beingAm0mmy at 11:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I dont know if what im going to say is appropriate or not, but with my child i did the whole hurry everything up thing, when your that far along you just want to me your baby and stop feeling so miserable but as much as i love my child and adore that he is here with me in person, i do miss being pregnant and now im regretting that instead of enjoying that time with that child inside me and feeling those precious kicks i was to busy worried about how to induce labor. I dont know maybe im weird..but i say stop rushing it, kick up your feet and just spend time with your child who is in your womb and enjoying those final last moments of being able to actually sit down and relax. Plus if you do that, who knows just when you relax its always when kids know to jump start things to make mom stop relaxing lol. It must be a kid thing! Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 11:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• hmm nothing worked for me and i tried every trick in the book but heres some that may help. sex, masturbation, fast walking, bumpy drive, heard scary movies, sqats, stair climbing, spicey food. its all just a hit or miss and until the baby is ready nothing is going to happen. at least you are thinning thats a good sign.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• add nipple stimulation, and castor oil will just give you diarhea, it only works sometimes in putting women in labor.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It will happen, just rest and sleep you will be up for long hours to come.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree with LINDACLEMENT whats the rush your baby is gonna come when he or she is ready not when you want it to happen just take it easy you will go in to labor when your baby is ready to come out and plus your not even dilated . so i would just wait if i were you Good Luck .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011