Paternity Test/ Support

My sister all of a sudden decided to get a paternity test done after 11 years of raising my niece without her knowing her bio dad at all ... My mom has also been basically more of a mother to my niece than my sister and my sister can be very sneaky about her intentions.. we are curious if she's doing this to get added support of some kind or what her reasons are... so now that this random loser IS the father, would he have to pay back support for the 11 years he didn't know about his daughter?? we are just trying to see what her motives are..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• The state she's in will dictate how far back the payments could be ordered. Most have a three to four year limit, and that depends on why the support order was never put into place. If thecourt gets even the faintest whiff that she's out for a 'money grab' they won't grant it. She'll get a retroactive judgement from the date that she filed the papers.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• In Cali there is a 2 or 3 year limit I think. My friend went through that many years ago. Once his child turned a certain age the mother could no longer ask for child support.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 12:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2011