How do you teach a 2yr old their ABC and numbers?

I am trying to teach my lo his abc and numbers but he is just not getting it. He can count to 4 he has been doing that since he was one but that is it. I tried the books. Singing it. He just sit there and laugh. Should he have learned something by now? At what age do they learned their ABC and numbers?

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 12:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Repetitiveness. You have to do it over and over and over....they'll eventually get it.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• my son was 18 months but i am lucky he is way easy to teach... i just kept saying over and over again and would sing it and do flash cards AFTER he learned to say them.... he learned to reconize numbers from watching nascar lol
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 12:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I used bathtub crayons and start with just one letter and one number every night at bath time. Write it on the tub and let him color too. He will love it. Yes...over and over! Baby einstien videos were helpful too!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• preschool songs are the best .
    benjaminsmadre

Answer by benjaminsmadre at 12:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• There's a "letter of the week" idea I really like. Choose a letter, and just spend all week using the letter, writing it, singing it, pointing it out to your child, etc.

Children learn letters in preschool, so you have some time yet. That said, most know their letters before then. STILL, you have a long time to go. a 2 yo. who can count to 4 is just fine. Perhaps your child feels the pressure and doesn't want to participate. If he is laughing tho, that means hes having fun!

Just keep at it, use teaching moments to keep teaching your child, and before you know it, and before your child hits preschool, they'll have a really good grasp on that stuff.

Books, writing on a dry erase board, flashcards, etc.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• my son is still learning i do it while he takes a bath cause he's not so distracted... and do the same with counting... all kids are different most learn when they want to and some just want to cause well they just like to talk.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Many 2 year olds are just not capable of that kind of stuff. Just play with him and teach him about the world around him. The academic stuff will come soon enough. I think my older son got interested around age 4.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Started with saying 5 at first. A-E and 1-5. After he caught onto those, I would add one.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Leapfrog Fridge Phonics - that way they aren't just memorizing the song, they actually learn the letters (and what sound each letter makes). We got them for my son's 1st bday, by 20 months he knew both upper and lowercase by sight.

Answer by missanc at 1:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Although some kids are ready to learn letters and numbers at that age, most are not. That is why Kindergarten doesn't start until they're 5 :-)

At 2 yrs old there is no reason they need to know this. They need to be learning through exploration, digging in the sand, building with blocks, etc. Read to them lots every day. Have letters for them to explore and talk about without any pressure to learn, such as magnetic letters, wooden alphabet puzzles, blocks with letters on them etc.

The best thing you can do to give your child a "head start" is to read to them and talk to them all the time! Then when he's ready, he'll learn the alphabet in days, not weeks or months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011