how to reduce static in the house?

i have my humidifier going and even stopped using the dryer and hang all the clothes to dry. it has helped a little but i still have TONS of static. i cant even pet my poor kitty without shocking him and him shocking me back through his feet! help! its driving me nuts!

laura970

Asked by laura970 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You definitely need more humidification. We have three just on the first floor right now.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You might need more than one humidifier. They are only designed to work over so many square feet. Also, run a ball of aluminum foil throught the dryer with your clothes. Try to eliminate or put away as many synthetic fabrics as possible. Maybe even run a sheet of foil over your carpet and furniture to dispel some of the charge.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• use vinegar instead of fabric softener in the wash. you can use more for less money and it will work better.

also, like PP states, 1 humidifier is probably not enough. We invested in a house humidifier. It attaches to the furnace an places humidity directly into the vents. And it's cost was the same as a floor unit (less than $180)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think you need another humidifier or two.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• yea i think i need another one too. i have a big big pot i fill with water and let simmer while im home
    laura970

Comment by laura970 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Jan. 19, 2011