Fussy Baby Advice Needed

Hi All,

My baby is now 5 months old and has not been the best sleeper or happiest baby from day one. Last few weeks everything has taken a turn for the worse. She is crying most days ALL day long (on and off but more on). She also is staying up for 13 plus hours at a time. I am getting so frustrated and have tried everything. I also have a two year old I also stay home with. Any advice? It really is upsetting b/c I don't know what to do for her. My gut tells me she is crying and fussy b/c she fights sleep for so long but I can't get her to stay alseep! To be honest I am starting to get a tad depressed. No bashing please, I am already upset enough. Help!

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 12:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is ALL the time? Myh first thought if it's been happening from birth is that something in her diet isn't agreeing with her. Breast or formula?

A lot of moms here like "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Marc Weissbluth. It may help.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Poor mama. Hold that baby & give her as much love and comfort as possible. I feel for you... I'm due next month with #2, and I have a 2 1/2 yr old who is HIGH MAINTENANCE a lot of times... it makes me nervous for the coming months.

Anyway, assuming you've tried changing her, feeding her, all the "little stuff"... is it possible she could be in some kind of pain? Have you brought her to the ped and asked about something along those lines? Maybe an ear infection? My girl was showing NO signs of ear infection (no tugging at her ears or fever), but we brought her in for a cough & that's how they found her ear infection. I hope things get better for you mama...
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? Have you introduced rice cereal yet?
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• *HUGS* I had a colic filled child for 5 months and was STILL fussy ALL Day until he was 1, then still as a toddler didn't get a whole lot better/easier until his second birthday.. I am sending you SO many hugs.. Can you hear any noise in his stomach while he's eating? We used to tight wrap him which would be the only way to get him to sleep, although at 5 months he could get out of any type of wrap so we went to getting him to sleep in his swing.. I think he slept for naps AND at bedtime in his swing for nearly 2 months. Are you BF or FF? Have you thought of a pediatric Chiropractor? what about gripe water ? my son had lactose intolerance issues, still does at 3 years old which I think was huge for FF/BF issues we had -he also hated to sleep so email me if you want to know all I tried there.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• She is probably teething but i would definietly make an app. with her pedi.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I am strictly BF for now. I did mention this to her doc and they said make sure the lights are not too bright, she is dry, etc. (not much help).
    anxious1stimer

Comment by anxious1stimer (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• What types of foods are you eating? Have you tried a crazy bland diet? or stopping dairy/milk products for 2 weeks at a time of each of the trials to see if that changed at all? Is she stooling normally? My son was very over stimulated by noise ( although some moms say the more noise the better, it was not the case for him ) he is still now also very sensory affected -he can't wear clothes with tags or outfits that aren't "soft enough" - all this only finding out after he could TELL me... no aroma's like the lavender bubble baths would over stimulate him and make him cry - had to switch from dreft to method baby which was fragerance free laundry detergent. same with washing the blankets and bedding also - had to use a loud fan in his room for white noise but it couldn't be on during the day.. he was very light sensitive also - still is.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have the same issue, and it is def because my son FIGHTS his sleep BAD!!!!!! And yes, it can really effect ur mood. I know I feel like I can't get anything done sometimes. Just be VERY patient and as long as u know ur child is in NO pain, has been fed, burped, changed, etc. sometimes u have to let them whine themselves to sleep (as long as their not screaming or crying very hard). Some babies just do not like to sleep, and u can't force them. So if the whine out thing doesn't work, try finding things for her to do that might lull her to sleep, like soft music, or sometimes I will dance softly while singing to my DS. Or do u have a channel on ur tv that's fish and classical music she can watch?
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 1:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Probably teething or ear infection. Did you give her motrin?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My son who is now 18 months had colic wheb he was 3-5months old. I took him to one pedi and they said to just pretty much deal with it and try different things and he would grow out of it. I went to a different pedi and they changed his formula and he was better in a few days. I would try to go to a different pedi and discuss this with them. Good luck. I know its hard!
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011