Is it normal to still be bleeding heavily 3 weeks after birth?

My daughter is exactly 3 weeks old today and i am bleeding just as heavily as i was after birth, last nite 2 huge blood clots fell out of me and i've been bleeding heavier since then. I have 2 children before this pregnancy and this never happened before. When i was in the hospital after birth i lost alot of blood and had alot of blood clots fall out too and they put me on iron pills and told me to take it easy...i've been taking it easy but i'm not sure whats going on and i don't have the time to go to the ospital with 3 kids to find out...

xdeviouskittyxx

Asked by xdeviouskittyxx at 1:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Health

• Can you call your OB's office and ask? I know I bled for a while after both my kids, but not extremely heavily. Some clots are probably normal; it will probably depend on how many pads you're soaking through.

Good luck.
    Abqmomof2

Answer by Abqmomof2 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think it's normal! I bled extremely heavy the first few days but then I had a steady heavy flo for amonth and a half! I'd say call your Doc and ask?
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 1:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My third kid caused th same thing.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• my htird caused the same thing and placenta was left inside of me ,,,,be careful.....get in touch w. me if you have any questions
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• der,,third....i cant spell
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Typically your bleeding will ease off... it's if it gets worse at any point that you need to worry. If you had some immediate increased bleeding after the clots, that can be normal (for a few hours), but it should ease off. How large were the clots? Anything close to the size of a lemon warrants a trip to the dr or hospital. I would try to call your dr. while he/she is still in the office. It may depend on the type of your birth, too, if there was any assistance, such as forceps or vacuum extraction, bleeding tends to be heavier. I hope you feel better.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I totally agree with the PP about the size of clots. I was also wondering if you have been more active lately. I know with myself, my bleeding slowed down, I started to feel better, so I got more active and overdid it. Then my bleeding got worse again. My doctor told me that the reason they give you 6 week medical leave is because your body is healing that whole time and if you overdo it- yout can just sort of aggravate the healing and cause some more active bleeding. So that could be it- but definitely call your doctor if you are having really large clots.
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2008