Whats the best way to discipline your 1 year old?

I know they are to young to really get it to well but what do you do when your 1yo just ignores you or knows they are doing something they arnt supposed to and laugh and do it anyways....there has to be a way to teach them age appropriatlly

MrsMeyers925

Asked by MrsMeyers925 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I try to look at things from their point of view.  My 1 year old sometimes turns me telling her "no no" into a game.  For the most part when told no she listens but I think sometimes, they just want to play.  When she turns it into a game, I scoop her up and take her to her room or tickle her or anything to get her distracted from the "no no game"  and still give her the attention I feel she was asking for.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Lol, enjoy it while you can, even though it's annoying! They laugh cause in their minds they are just figuring out that every action has an equal and opposite reaction! LOL. They don't understand much, so you just remove them from the situation. Babies are meant to give us trouble, dontcha know! Lol. I have a 3.5 yo, and an almost 1 yo, so I feel ya there! But I just try to remind myself, just as my dd used to do this stuff and be naughty, ds has to have his chance at it too!

good luck!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• a one year old?
    beats me, they're just a year old? can't they be allowed to grow up a little before they start to get disciplined? they most of the time don't have the language skills to understand everything you're saying.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• They know some things are not allowed. But it is best to distract them or redirect them. Be consistent and loving. Plus make sure they get enough attention from you. Lots of times kids go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• im not talking about spanking or time outs im talking about helping them understand there are things they can not do and things they can not touch for safety reasons....teaching them wrong from right and he knows when he is doing something he isnt supposed to because he will look to see if we are going to let him before doing it
    MrsMeyers925

Comment by MrsMeyers925 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Lol, my son gives me that look all the time! (hes almost 1). you just correct negative behavior by showing dissaproval and removing him from the situation. LOTS OF REPETITION FOR THIS ONE!, and show lots of loving praise when he is doing things correctly. It will take years before these behaviors become second nature.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I use the time out method. It doesn't work for all parents tho.
    MommyMexicano87

Answer by MommyMexicano87 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Time out
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• A combination of re-directing and time outs
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• At one year old, my DD was talking, walking, and disobeying me. She knew what she was doing was wrong.
    We used time outs. It has worked for us.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2011