Why is there so much hind additive in can veggies like bakebeans and cooked carrots.iam trying to eat healthy but i dont want to have all the hind sugar and salt that comes with it

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Just buy frozen veggies instead of canned veggies. I prefer fresh, but will keep frozen veggies in my deep freezer just in case. They come in handy quite often & I definitely prefer them taste over canned veggies for sure. Frozen veggies are usually pretty cheap.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• that is why I dont do canned food... besides it just tastes bad.

i buy fresh or if I have to frozen.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• "hind"? Not sure what you mean by that. I don't buy canned veggies if I don't have to. I use frozen if fresh aren't available (cheaper than canned, if you break it down), and can my own that I grow in my garden - no preservatives.
    Anonymous

• The only veggies I buy in a can are green beans and corn, no salt added. I buy those during a big case sale that a local store puts on, otherwise mine are frozen with no salt added. Fresh is preferable of course. Baked beans are always going to come with "junk" added in but I bet you could google up a healthy alternative recipe and make your own. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Yeah, canned food is just a bad idea in general. Lol. I do buy canned mushrooms on occasion cause I like the taste, but other than that, stick to fresh or frozen, and then you'll know whats in it!

That goes for everything, the closer to its natural state, the healthier it is.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• In canned goods you need to get the no salt added kinds...but frozen veggies are better for you and just as cheap. They are also usualy flash frozen so they have more of their nutrients left (though microwaving can remove some, so you may want to steam instead)!

But baked beans....well of course they are going to have additives, baked beans are loaded with sugary sauce. The name doesn't mean they are beans that have just been baked, it means curred and sweetened with sauce, usualy with brown sugar.

Get plain black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, etc etc.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If you HAVE to get canned then I would do a rinse of whatever the product is. Stick it in the colander and do a quick run through under the tap.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• hind?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• In the summer you can buy fresh from a local farm and then you can freeze them yourself. You can get books on how to do this from your local library. You can even freeze corn on the cob and eat it all winter.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Maybe try fresh or frozen veggies instead.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011