Anyone out there exclusively BF?

I have not given my 5 month old any bottles yet. I just give her the breast mostly b/c I hate pumping and carrying bottles, etc. while on the go. Though the main reason I do it is b/c when my son was little he refused the breast after getting the bottle so I strictly pumped for 15 months (no wonder I hate pumping). I am afraid my daugther will do the same thing and now I stay at home. Do any of you decide to do this? Do you feel like you don't have much of a life and get a moment to yourself? Should I introduce the bottle and if so, when? Thanks!

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 12:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am about to start exclusively BF :) :) Baby tried to come early Sunday....Dr stopped her...I am on bedrest :) At least for a few more days!

I exclusively BF my two others till they were 8 months old. 5 months ia a GREAT milestone to reach too!!! BF can really take a toll on moms :) Its all up to you as to when or if you want to intro the bottle.

Just try to keep in mind that if you continue BF it wont be too much longer...even though it feels that way :) IMO bottle feeding has its negative parts too...buying the forumula....making the bottles all the time, washing them, having to remember formula when you go somewhere....so try to make a list of pros and cons of BF and bottle before you make your final decision....oh and dont forget you will have to dry up your milk if you stop cold turkey....not fun :)

But its all up to what you feel like you can do and what fits you and your babies life the best!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I exclusively breastfed two of my little ones. It did make me feel very attached so to speak. Which is good in a way. Until you can not walk out the door for any length of time. I could not pump. Around 6 months I tried to get one of them to take something from a cup. I wanted to go to a military ball with my hubby, it was such a stress. She would not take anything. If I were you I would introduce a cup maybe with breast milk in it. Quite a bit different from a bottle and some say easier. That way they do not become to attached to a bottle. They never took a bottle but were able to transition between breast and cup without any issues. Then we never had to take a bottle away because a sippy cup was the next transition anyways. Just an idea and what worked for us. Good luck!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Breastfeeding is completely up to you. I know one girl who is still breastfeeding her child at two, not exclusively of course, but its her choice. I wanted to breastfeed for at least 5 to 6 months but my milk dried up two weeks into doing it and my son was so hungry all the time and never latched on properly (prob why i dried up). I say when your ready and when your baby is ready youll know and itll be the right time for you. I tried pumping for my son for alittle while but he wanted the formula that i gave him at 2 am when i had no breast milk to give him and it wasnt fun and i hated it. I figure you might as well breastfeed until your child can hold a bottle on his/her own because whats the point of a bottle that you have to hold when you can (and want) to give him breastmilk that doesnt require all the pumping and sterlizing of bottles and stuff.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 12:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I exclusively breastfeed, when my DD was a baby (she is 9 now). I BF her until she was a little over 2.

I tried to giver her a bottle at 5 months so that other people could watch her if it was ever necessary, but she wouldn't take it. She just would no drink out of a bottle, she was too used to the boob. That is the only downfall when exclusively BF, you can't leave her with anyone for long periods of time. BUT, i really didn't mind that. I enjoyed having her all to me & i had little trust in others that time in my life anyway, so i rarely would have had anyone else care for her.

I did feel like i had a life. I still went out (not to bars or anything like that) and i took my baby everywhere with me. She was in a sling 1/2 the time anyway. I would take her on road trips with my ex husband, we would take her camping & over to friends houses. My life didn't stop because i was BF.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I did EBF. Mine are older now. You could try introducing a sippy cup now, rather then a bottle. Less likely to cause confusion. Is baby on solids yet? I don't recommend until at least 6 mos, but when they are started, you can sometimes get away for a little while if you nurse right before you leave, and have caregiver give a little solids shortly after you leave. But, my main suggestion is the cup.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My lactation consultant says it is best to introduce the bottle between 3-4 weeks. After that, they may just prefer the bottle. You should try to talk to a lc, maybe they will have some tips.
    jasper311

Answer by jasper311 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I never did bottles w/ any of my 3 kids. Hated pumping
    Anonymous

• My first refused bottles after 3 months. His brother refused at 4 months. Not a huge deal.. just had to time things. I never planned to be away for more than 3 hours until they had started solids... nursed right before leaving. Out of sight is typically out of mind for babies, they don't even remember to eat because their food source isn't there.

So, no, it was never a big deal. We didn't need bottles... I still had date nights, moms nights and kid-free trips to the hair salon.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• thanks everyone. if i did give her a bottle it would be breast mlik only. I haven't given her solids yet but will do so at six months.
    anxious1stimer

Comment by anxious1stimer (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• So far so good with our 4 month old. There are times when I think that it would be much easier to give her a bottle, but we are happier this way.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011