How do I deal with my bipolar nephew?

My sister's 12 year old son is bipolar and I understand that he has problems. But my sister lets him get away with being rude and selfish expecially with our family. My 2 daughters don't even want to go over to their house anymore because he is so mean and rude. His brother doesn't even get to have friends over because of his brother and I feel bad for him. I don't know what to do or how to tell my sister because she defends everything he does. She says he can't help it. I did not think that being rude and selfish was part of being bipolar. What should I do?

kccragg

Asked by kccragg at 12:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• You simply tell her what you just stated. Your girls don't enjoy being over there because he's rude to them and he's mean, and your not going to force your kids to be in a situation that makes them feel bad or makes them feel uncomfortable.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• from what I understand it is part of being bipolar.
    as far as your kids not wanting to play with him, why force them.

don't be surprised if you get a lot of 'butt out,you're just the aunt' comments.
    maybe this is one of the time that we aunts could benefit from stepping aside.
    why take on the stress of it all if your involvement isn't welcome?

personally, I'd just to what you can to educate yourself on the topic from valid sources, and make your decisions about it all based on that.
    Anonymous

• Mood swings are a part of bipolar, but rude behavior can be managed. Accepting it as the norm is not good. Teaching the child how to deal with the feelings and emotions will be an important part of preparing them for the adult world. I have known several people that have bipolar and they manage their condition either through meds or counseling. With that being said, this is something that his mother will have to deal with and you do not need to subject your kids to this behavior!! If you are not comfortable with his behavior, then don't be around. Focus on your own kids and their well-being. I also realize this is easier said than done.

Hang in there!!
    clctalking

Answer by clctalking at 1:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• yeah just have a talk with your sister & tell her how you feel & im sorry about your girls
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2011