Whatcha think???

Is it possible AND safe to lose 50 lbs in 5 months???
If so how do i go about doing that??? Please dont be mean... I'm actually asking for suggestions/ideas not some rude comments...
Thank you

armywife2bnm

Asked by armywife2bnm at 12:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Possible...yes. Safe...not really. Plus the faster you take weight off, the easier it will be for it to come back on.
    Anonymous

• that is only 10 lbs a month. which breaks cown to 21/2 lbs a week. that means you will need to burn about 1000 calories a day more than you take in. An average woman burns about 1500 calories a day. So... that means you will have to do alot of working out and really watch what you eat. 3500 calories is one pound of body weight
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It's possible. 7 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I ate healthier, reduced my carb intake and when I did eat carbs they were healthier whole grains....and I started doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds videos. I started with the 1 mile and built up to the 4 miles 6 days a week. And from that April to September I lost 50 pounds and my diabetes went down to a level of a non-diabetic.

I've since had 2 kids and didn't take care of myself and 20 of those pounds are back on, but i've done either 3 or 4 miles everyday for 9 days straight and i'm down 10 pounds in 2 weeks.....the weight loss is slowing down now, but i'm confident I can do it,

Leslie was on QVC this morning and she's on again at 10pm eastern. Her workouts are also FREE on the exercise on demand channel or their website: www.exercisetv.tv
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It really depends how overweight you are to start with as well as your age, metabolism, and how willing you are to work at it, because the more overweight you are, the faster the initial weight comes off. If you need to lose 100 pounds, then that first 50 will come off a lot faster than if you only need to lose 50 total.

From now till June 18th is 21 1/2 weeks, which is an average 2.3 pounds per week. It's a bit over recommended, but doable as long as you're under medical care. To lose 1 pound, you have to burn 3500 calories, so the larger your caloric deficit, the faster it will come off. I wouldn't drop below 1200 calories intake per day just because it sends your metabolism into stasis, and everything you eat immediately converts to additional fat stores while you burn muscle. You have to fight your cavewoman survival traits by continuing to fuel your body enough to burn fat and build muscle.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I really do not think that is too healthy. Good weight loss is about 1-2 pounds a week and that is just a little more then that, but that would beEVERY week.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think that would be a bit ambitious. Talk to your dr and a nutritionist.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• it would be really hard on ur body...it's good to set goals but realistic ones...it u don't then you'll just get fustrated easily and quit.... need anymore info ..or looking for a good work out program... let me know.. i'm a coach on beach body.. =) good luck
    littlepeele

Answer by littlepeele at 6:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think so, Average weight loss is 2 lbs a week. That's only 2 1/2. Just make sure you are eating decent food
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It's possible but not likely (IMO) unless you do some sort of structured program like Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem. And with those you will most likely put it right back on anyway.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Hmmm...seems like it may be a bit much, mama.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2011