Can you refreeze meat?

I cooked all the chicken breasts and froze them in smaller packages. Then, made chicken enchiladas and wanted to refreeze one of the casseroles but my friend said you can't do that.... so what's the problem with that anyway?

newtocooking

Asked by newtocooking at 12:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You can re-freeze meat if you cooked it, you can even refreeze thawed raw meat only if it's been thawed in the fridge.

I thaw meat all the time, cook it & refreeze it. It's all good. It depends on how much time it was left out, the longer it's left out & not in the fridge, the more bacteria grows on it. So, if you took it out of the freezer, cooked it right away & then froze it right away, you should be fine. That doesn't leave much time for bacteria to grow on it.

It all has to do with bacteria growth & bacteria grows fastest in warm conditions. If frozen, it inhibits the growth of bacteria. So, as long as you didn't leave it out long, you should be fine.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• if you cooked the meat, then you can refreeze it....but DON'T freeze it again after that.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I do not see any problem with freezing the dish... I think they are going off RAW MEAT not being frozen multiple times...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You aren't supposed to refreeze raw meats due to bacteria issues. I'm sure cooked chicken is fine.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Yes you can do that as long as its cooked you cant get freezi9ng and unfreezing raw meat though.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Ok, hummm, seems to be different opinions. So it's about bacteria, not taste. What if I really heated it through when I defrost the 2nd time?
    newtocooking

Comment by newtocooking (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If u cooked it, it is fine. One you recook it though, don't freeze it again. She probably was thinking raw meat.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You can refreeze any meat - cooked or uncooked. The meat you take home from the store was frozen before you took it home and froze it again. Here are the USDA guidelines.  What you should not do is let thawed meat get all the way to room temperature (ever) unless it's during the cooking process.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I do it and never had a problem. But I try to not do it too often unless by accident or we went out to eat instead. Other than that I would not reccommend doing that as a regular practice. My sil got e coli from chop meat she left out to thaw and she left out all day without ac and she got so sick she went to the emergency room and got diagnosed with it .
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't think that's a good idea, with any food, cooked or not. To freeze and thaw it too many times.. I think twice is ok for raw me..say you thaw it and refreeze some of it. and with already cooked food, you don't want to thaw it and then refreeze and then thaw it again
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 1:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2011