when dropping your child off at school, does your child just hop out of the car? or do you walk up to the school with him/her?

what grade, or how old where they when you stopped walking up to the school with them??

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• We go through the car pool line and they hop out. They've been doing it since they were in kindergarten.

Answer by missanc at 1:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My 15 year old hops out and walks off to his classes... my 5 year old is still in a carseat, so I have to get him out and I do walk him up and into his class... 3 year old is MINE!!! lol
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My son's school does not have adequate parking so we have been using a church's parking lot that is right next door to get out of the car and walk him in. The church is currently remodeling one of their buildings so there is a lot of construction going on and the parking lot is blocked off. So now, I just drop him off at the door. There are teachers, parapros, and the asst. principal there to open the door and help the child if need be. BTW, he is in Kindergarten.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I park and walk them to the front of the school, then watch them both go in. My 5 year old goes in with his class when the bell rings, and my 8 year old walks through the front door. I would be fine with dropping off my older son (not my younger son) at the door, as long as I see him enter the building.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My middle schoolers jump out of the car, occasionally they'll wait until the full stop. My kindergartener goes to before school care and walks himself in. He is so proud to do it. It's sweet but also makes me sad.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My oldest takes the bus, but youngest (11 and 5th grade) hops out in the dropoff lane a few steps from the door. He has ever since the first few weeks of kindergarten. He's the fiercely independant "ME DO IT!" kid and always has been.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My kids (10, 9 and 8) take the bus and walk themselves to and from the bus stop. I don't go out there. They started walking themselves to school last year (in 1st, 2nd and 4th grades) when we lived in Chicago. It was a 3 1/2 block walk. Before that I walked them about half way then waited on the corner to make sure they got across the last street and then I'd go home. And before that I walked them to the block the school was on and they went the rest of the way. Before that (when they were in K, 1st and 3rd) I waited in the parking lot with them like all the other parents. They stood in their lines and I stood off to the side until their teachers came out and then I left. I've never walked them right to the door. On the rare occasion they got a ride they just hopped out and went in or into the parking lot to get in line.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My DD (7yo, 1st grade) makes me park the car and walk her to the school. The drop-off area is about 10 feet from where we walk to. She gets upset if we're running late and I ask her to just drop her off.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 2:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i walk her into the main lobby.....she's in 3rd grade.....she walks in by herself when daddy takes her......lol
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 5:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I remember just getting dropped off in front of the school as a kid. I don't remember anyone's parents walking them to the door. I would think that would be embarrassing unless your LO is super young.
    surfngirl

Answer by surfngirl at 1:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2011