37 weeks pregnant... How does arguing affect my baby?

My SO and I have been arguing quite frequently lately. I'm just wondering what baby goes through during the yelling and screaming. Will it most likely make for a fussier baby? I don't want to yell it's just so hard to refrain sometimes with the issues I am dealing with right now.

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• STRESS! When ur stressed so is baby! And that is NOT Good for either! It can actually cause miscarriage, which is highly unlikely at 37 weeks due to stress (but i'm no doctor)
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You need to be as calm as possible. Stress is very bad for the child. Research shows that babies in utero do hear what is going on. Plus, learning other ways to deal with conflict now are going to help you deal when the baby arrives. Babies and children definately pick up on tension and are fussy. Walk away and calm down, then talk to your SO.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 1:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Emotions release hormone/chemicals... that child will get those hormones... so what do you think?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Just off "feelings", I truly dislike my ex-sister-in-law, my eldest son was born disliking her!!! Oddest thing I ever witnessed... but he went off her voice, and I knew I had/have physical reaction to that woman... but he knew not to like her just off the reactions I had, and I was never vocal, just thinking... and the hormone/chemical reactions
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• if stress caused miscarriages, i wouldnt have any of my children. with my first, i argued 24/7 with her father, left him, dealt with him stalking me all the time, harassing me, living with my parents. second, my husband was deployed. third, took care of a 4 month old and 2 year old while pregnant, had my house broken into, car and wallet stolen, second child in the hospital for a week with a brain injury, panic attacks and constant agoraphobia up til the day i had her. and my children were not fussy babies.

however, i do believe the unborn baby can sense what you are feeling. they can hear you and people around you, too. but no, i dont think arguing/yelling is going to harm your baby or cause any long-term affects.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Stress!! And don't forget baby can hear. my husband and I faught a lot with my second child and she is super sensitive to yelling and fighting. She cries instantly. I don't know if our arguing while I was pregnant has anything to do with it, but sometimes I think it did.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The yelling and screaming themselves are not bad, but the stress caused by them are. At 37 weeks along it could easily cause you to go into labor early. It also causes the stress hormones to raise in your babies blood stream not just yours and that is believed to cause various different things in children, but has never been adequately studied due to moral issues with a study like that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Your baby will be fine. It's actually an assumption that it hurts your baby. Stress is a normal healthy part of life, and you two are probably going to fight a few things out. Yes it's proven that it affects adults, but there are no proven effects in fetal medicine. Go for walks, get plenty of rest, and eat right. Many couples have fought during pregnancies. My pregnancies were VERY stressful. I had my FIL break his back and damage his brain, he has one arm and no legs and I took daily care of him while pregnant, and caring for my other kids. My husband also smashed his hand paper thin at work and they were going to amputate. We went from a ton of $$ to nothing and almost losing our cars, home, and so much more. My pregnancy was also pre term and I couldn't work any longer. And in actuality she's the easiest baby I ever had!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011