When does breastfeeding lose its immunological benefits?

I was shocked when my pediatrician told me it loses its "value" after 2 months. I do not believe that to be true. Has anybody else been told anything different by their pedi?

jasper311

Asked by jasper311 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never been told that, i would ask someone @ La Leche League.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• That's a load of crap. Breastmilk can always benefit the body. There are even cancer patients using it to help them during chemo treatments.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I heard the only time it looses some nutrition is when it has been frozen.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Holy cow only 2 months! It never loses it immunological benefit even at 3 years old according to everything I have read and been told. Your child's immune system is not even close to being fully developed until around 2-3 years old. Breastmilk always has antibodies to anything the mother has been exposed no matter how old the child is. Our doc actually suggested I give my 4 year old expressed milk when he got a pretty bad sinus infection. I was still nursing my 2 year old at the time and easily did express some milk for the 4 year old. Keep in mind that doctors only get a very small amount of training when it comes to breastfeeding and get a lot more money and kick backs from the formula and drug companies then they do from you keeping your child healthy for free (giving breastmilk). I would talk with a local lactation consultant or La Lache League leader if you are really that concerned about it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• if by "immunological" you are referring to when do the mother's antibodies in it disappear, i have heard conflicting answers as well. i've heard anywhere from 6 weeks postpartum to never. i would do more research on this as well.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I should mention he told me this after I told him I was waiting until after his first year to immunize. I suppose that was his way of bullying me into doing it sooner.
    jasper311

Comment by jasper311 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• In all honesty I was told the first 3-6 weeks are all that truly matter... and in that time frame when I was an infant I caught chickenpox from older siblings, and why I caught it a second time in life. Personally I think that as long as the kid is healthy it doesn't really matter
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• ~*BTW*~.... body builders are now, or have been for some time (might just only be hitting news now), buying breast milk to use as a suppliment... I think it is gross, but to "each their own"
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I heard never, but after 6 months the baby's starts to develop so it's not as keep as before.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• 2 months is what I've read.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2011