Eat foods in moderation while breastfeeding?

I hear conflicting things about if it is okay to eat certain foods in moderation while breastfeeding. Things like broccoli, garlic, milk...Is this true? Or can I eat broccoli everyday? I love broccoli darnit.

jasper311

Asked by jasper311 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Health

• You can eat whatever you want when you BF..... go ahead !

Broccoli is great for you.. so enjoy.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 1:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Eat whatever you want!! If u notice a change in the baby, that is the only time to worry about moderation! My daughter has no issues with anything!!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Eat whatever you want as the other Mommies said just watch your baby. If the little one seems extremely fussy after you ate something then try and cut that out. Mine did not have issues with anything that I ate.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It depends on your child. Some children are more sensitive to certain foods. If you notice your child is fussier than usual, you may want to take a look at your diet and what you've eaten recently. My 3rd did not like when I ate foods with garlic, but my other 4 didn't have a problem with it. As long as your child isn't fussier than usual after eating certain foods, you're fine!

Answer by missanc at 1:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Some people find that their baby is sensitive to things that they eat and will cut down or cut out foods for that reason, but no sense making an issue where there isn't one. =D

I did have to cut out all Dairy because of DD being allergic but I could eat all of the brocoli I wanted.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• People told me i should avoid certain foods like garlic, but i certainly did not. I think that is more for mothers who may have a colicky baby. My DD never had any problems when breastfeeding. I ate what i wanted too & she was fine.

But, if a baby is having tummy issues, there is always the possibility it could be caused by something the mother is eating.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Some children can not handle the spicy or gassy foods or dairy etc that is passed in the milk. Each child is individual though. My oldest couldn't handle me having ANY caffeine, but my youngest could handle a little here and there. As long as it is healthy for you then eat and see how your LO reacts.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2011