does this bother you or not so much? (Prison treatment)

if a prisoner is sick with anything from an infected papercut to probable cancer they need to pay a co-payment for treatment. Ditto for medications (even AIDS patients who in theory have piles of meds needed daily) Details vary from prison to prison but a large amt. want cash up front for putting in a medical request slip to the prison clinic. ... is this OK or gross? How would you adjust their system?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If we have to pay... why wouldn't someone that committed a crime not be held to the same standards?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think it's wrong, how in the world could they possibly afford a co pay living in a prison? Some don't have families to turn to, or friends, and the income of having a job in a prison facility is close to having nothing at all.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have a friend who is HIV positive and was in prison in 2003 she never paid anything. I have read all the CDC laws and guidelines and have never seen anything like that. In fact I know of people who actually violate parole so they can get the free medical care.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I am fine with it. I think they should be paying rent and utilities as well. It might be an extreme opinion but I don't think we as taxpayers should be paying for everything.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Don't break the law and you don't have to worry about how they treat people in prison. If you belong in prison I don't feel bad for you.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• not so much.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Now that I'm a tax payer and a bit mote knowledgeable at this. Yes, they should pay some sort of fee. I do. It also cost me thousands of $ to have my kids. And I made it work as a single mom. Prisoners have too many rights. They get these by having all that time in tier hands to mess w the system and sue. The states. It just makes me mad!! Make prison a he'll hole so ppl don't go back!!
    Steamedpuddle30

Answer by Steamedpuddle30 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• SleepingBeautee, I wish it were as black and white as that. I know there are people out there with piss poor morals and integrity, but there are other people who got caught up in a bad situation. Diane Sawyer did a an interview with an inmate named Nicky. She shot a man who was climbing in her window. At the time, that was considered murder not man slaughter.She was charged with murder and sentenced to life in a CA prison. She spent 30 years there. During that time her legs were amputated, she was treated for cancer, and she died there too. She was a citizen of Britain and her own country asked for their citizen back, CA said no.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Make it a hell hole? Really? Prisoners are beaten, raped, intimidated, etc. HIV and AIDS, and HEP A through Z run wild there.  If it was so much fun, we'd all wanna go!

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• They should have to pay just like everyone else. Nothing is free and why should criminals be an exception. I think that's the LEAST of what they should have to pay for.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011