How many of you have gotten pregnant while using NFP methods?

What method(s) were you using? Did you get pregnant because you weren't being as careful as normal, or did it happen even though you were doing "everything right?"

Just curious about NFP and the like :)

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Health

• The 2 times I got pregnant (which resulted in my 2 daughters) we were not being careful. Other than that, it's worked out very well for us.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I got pregnant while using the good old rhythm method. I got my period on Dec 31. Therefore I should have ovulated around Jan 13-14. I had sex on Jan 20 and 21 and got pregnant so clearly I ovulated late. I wasn't doing any other ovulation tracking other than just going off the date of my last period. For the most part I was really regular on my cycle, but that January I had tried to quit smoking and I think it must have thrown my cycle off. Although I wasn't trying to get pregnant I was happy at the news. I wasn't exactly trying very hard not to get pregnant. I feel like NFP is a good thing to use only if you're going to be happy with a surprise. In college, I was all about the pill AND condoms because I did not need any surprises.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree MaryMW--NFP should NOT be used by those who absolutely don't want another child, or by those who are highly fertile (I know people who seem to get pregnant practically every time they have sex, lol). Now that my husband and I are heading toward our mid-30's, we will be having to decide whether we are sure we're completely done with babies, and if so, he may get a vasectomy. Because right now, it wouldn't be a disaster if I got pregnant again, but in 5 years, I think it probably would be.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011