surgery for ovarian cysts?

several weeks ago i began to have pain in my lower abdomen....My doc sent me for an ultra sound that revealed a 4 cm cyst on my right ovary....then on new years eve the pain became so severe that i was told to go to the ER....they saw the same cyst and another on the my left ovary which had grown to about 3 cm and third smaller one that they could not get a clear look at to measure.

i have been researching since they scheduled my surgery and was wondering if anyone could give me advice...i have three beautiful children and since they are gonna be in there anyway i decided to have my mirena removed and get my tubes tied!

I guess i am super scared about the surgery...any advice or words of wisdom???

mikenjess

Asked by mikenjess at 1:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Health

• When a cyst is 4cm or bigger it usually takes surgery, because if they rupture on their own it can twist the fallopian tube. My friend had emergency surgery for it. Pretty scary.

Don't worry. Recovery is fast! You'll feel better in about two days.
    I am waiting for my insurance to come through so I can get my left ovary removed. It gets about 4 to 6 large cysts at a time. The pain get's so bad I'm vomiting. I lay in bed a lot too. It's not an easy journey but I'm glad to see an end to it! If you ever have any questions, hit me up! I've been dealing with this for years.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The surgery wasn' t that bad. It's a little sucky when you wake up, but you heal fast. Those are some big cysts!! I have big ones like that too. Keep in mind this my not be your last surgery. And if it continues you may have to just remove the ovary. That's where I'm at now. My doctor wanted to put me on Mirena for cysts, but one of the side effects IS CYSTS!! So a big no thanks on that one! Make sure you set up preventative measures. Most of the time they do come back.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My doctors told me they do not do surgeries to removing cists. They said they will pop on their own.
    I had one, pain was bad. but one day the pain just went away. I guess it poped.

Answer by louise2 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• they said that they are not sure if the mirena is the cause but recomend i remove it because these are the first cysts ive had. my doc says its been long enough and if they were going to go away on there own it would have happened already! so she is going to go ahead with the surgery!

Thanks for telling me the surgery isn't bad lol...i am not a huge fan of hospitals....i just feel bad for my 8 month old cause i'm not aloud to pick him up!!!!!
    mikenjess

Comment by mikenjess (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• thanks they run in my family my mom had an ovary removed because she delveloped a cyst that crushed it so she is scared for me right now but on the bright side she has never had one that large again...I hope you get relief soon! i know i for one dont wish the pain on anyone!!!
    mikenjess

Comment by mikenjess (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i had the surgery when i was 17, my cyst was the size of a basketball and they took it out intact so i have a scar from my bellybutton to my pelvis, im not sure what kind of surgery you scheudled for but mine was like a like a c-section so it took a good three weeks before i was feeling better. (side note: i had a n ectopic pregnancy removed by surgery as well and i was feeling better after about 4 days)

Kambrosino07

Answer by Kambrosino07 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• thanks ladies you all helped out alot!!! your the best!!!
    mikenjess

Comment by mikenjess (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2011