Is it really?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

What do you think of this quote? How do we know when to fight and when to just let it go? How easy is evil to pinpoint?

cleanaturalady

Asked by cleanaturalady at 1:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I like that quote, and I agree. Just think if you saw a kid being abducted at the park or something. Wouldn't you step in and try to help, try to draw attention, etc? Sure, that's an extreme example, but there are lots of times that people need others to stand up for them.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I completely agree. If we take the holocaust as an example, how many people tried to claim they were just following orders? If instead of just following, what would happen if they refused? would there still have been such a tragedy?
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 1:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• agree.

: )

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree with it. Evil is not always easy to pinpoint. I wish more understood it and knew when to let go and when to do something.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 1:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It's different for everybody and everybody has their own 'beginning of evil".

Therefore, there are no absolutes except the one everyone sets for themselves.

It's all relative.

There are billions of people on the planet, but that is just a triviality.

We can get it figured out!

I mean, as a human, who are you to tell me what's evil, or even just a little bit bad? And vise versa.                wink

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Zebbiebug, what is the litmus test to prove an evil? I know there are obvious things, like the child abduction mentioned, or a friend who is being abused by her husband, witnessing a crime of any kind, we would all unanimously say that those are evil circumstances we should stick our necks out to stop/prevent, but what about other things that are less clear or are a matter of perspective? How do we tell?
    cleanaturalady

Comment by cleanaturalady (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I did my English Final on this qupte and used teh holocaust as an example (clearly an extreme one). Clearly I agree with the quote. As for what constitutes evil. I will have to go with anything that affects you or another person in a negative manner. This can include avoiding confrontation or seeking alternative means to hurt a person rather than discuss things to work out your differences. It is also something we are all guilty of.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• When I hear that I think Of this.

First They came for the Jews - Pastor Martin Niemoller

First they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one was left to speak out for me.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree 100%. You know when to fight when there is an immoral or cruel act going on. If a good person walked away from a rape because it's none of their business, are they really a good person?  Can they sleep at night knowing they walked away and could have prevented the act?   Evil is not easy to pinpoint if we're not paying attention.

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i agree w/ the quote in that "triumph of evil" (to me) means its something big like the holocaust or the WBC or child abuse...not little no-nos. we can always fight the big things, but in some instances the fighting back isnt physical but rather emotional or mental. we dont have to tear gas the WBC or beat an abuser to get the point across that we disagree. sometimes all that needs to be done is for good people to say "stop! this isnt right!" or call 9-1-1 or refuse to retaliate w/ more hate...we can always do something.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011