How do you bleach your whites?

OK ladies you can laugh at me....I don't know how to bleach whites!! I have never used bleach just oxyclean and things like that. I want to bleach my kids socks and underwear how do I do it? The socks are mainly white but some are colored and the underwear is printed also. They are just looking dingy. I have the bleach drain thing in my washer should I use that and how much bleach and should I use hot water? I don't want to fade the colors on the clothes just get the white more white!!..lol....

Thanks for the help...you can stop laughing now!!lol

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• let the washer fill up with water, pour the bleach in, then put the clothes in. Use hot water. If you aren't sure the directions are on the clorox bottle.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• well i wash everything in cold but to really get into those stains it is best to use hot. some white things with print can be bleached, i bleach bibs that are mostly white but have colored trim, white sheets with light colored print, white socks with colored border, etc. like pp said, start up the washer, pour in the bleach and add the whites and voila!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I always add the detergent and bleach into the water,let it mix up and THEN add the white clothes. Good old bleach is the best.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• First off: never bleach anything (that you want to keep) that has elastic in it. Chlorine bleach dissolves elastic. And spandex. Check carefully that none of the underwear or socks (usually elastic thread woven in the top couple of inches) have any at all.

Second: chlorine bleach yellows nylon and polyester --permanently. It's a little more like dye than bleach for those fabrics.

Third: chlorine bleach eats all fabrics --cotton and linen more slowly than others, but using it regularly will wear your fabrics much, much faster than not using it.

Fourth: chlorine bleach is not a disinfectant (unless it's under a few months old, which is impossible to find out --who knows how long it sits on shelves or is transported?) and it will not remove oil or grease stains (it's not a surfactant, it's a harsh alkaline).

Five: oxygen bleach (oxyclean) is nearly as effective a whitener as chlorine bleach without the fabric damage.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• P.S. I expect that your whites and light coloured fabrics are dingy because you have hard water or you're using soap instead of detergent (soap leaves a residue that attracts and holds dirt to fabric, so you're working against yourself).

If you have hard water

~use water softener --washing soda, Borax or Calgon-- in every load of laundry, in addition to your detergent

~ use the maximum amount of detergent suggested on the container --it will make a lot of difference

~ wash half as many clothes at a time in each load

If you your clothes are very dingy, you may want to spend a day washing the dingy out: fill the washer, add 2 cups of washing soda, Borax or Calgon, and 1/2 a cup of detergent (powder) let it agitate until it's dissolved, then add about 1/2 as much clothes as you'd normally fill it with, then instead of taking that load out, do it again.

Add a cup of vinegar to the rinse water, especially if you u
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If you don't want to fade the colors, don't use bleach. I don't use bleach for anything, ever. Use baking soda to whiten in the wash, and white vinegar in the rinse.
    Anonymous

• How funny, I read your question and thought "whites" was another term for bleaching your teeth. But I'm definitley no pro at bleaching white laudry either :)
    surfngirl

Answer by surfngirl at 1:43 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Our machine has a bleach dispenser and I bleach all of our underclothes - and they last for a good long time. If your machine does not have a dispenser, let it fill with water and then measure your bleach (it will tell you how much to use on the bottle) and mix it with water to dilute it before you pour it over the clothes, I used a 4 cup measuring cup, measured 1/2 cup of bleach and filled the rest of the way with water (fill it as your machine fills up) and then dump it in.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2011