Californians.....How do you feel about the people still talking away on their cell phones even though we have a new law on the book prohibiting it?

I personally am so sick and tired of seeing all these people basically flipping off the law and talking away on their cell phones while driving....I have obeyed the law myself and will only talk when I am parked or I pull over to somewhere safe and out of traffic when I need to talk...but honestly how many people really need to be talking in the first place...? Any comments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think talking on their cells is nearly as bad as texting while driving. That loophole needs to be changed NOW.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I think they both go hand in hand...I'm not sure what they were thinking when they didn't include texting!?
    Anonymous

• Id rather see someone on the phone than texting as well.
    also.. flipping off the law? do you drive the speed limit? do you count to four at stop signs?
    do you turn on your headlights in construction zones?

I don't talk on my phone in the car, and i dont like when people do, but it has nothing to do with the LAW.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I don't talk on my phone in the car, and i dont like when people do, but it has nothing to do with the LAW.

Well...it is supposed to be against the law in California...as of June '08!
    Anonymous

• Is it so hard for them to get the hands-free thing (bluetooth)? I've been to California and the traffic out there is absolutely nuts! I would be SCARED to use a cell phone while driving out there...lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Why would they follow the law. People that are entitlement minded and self centered don't care. California is filled with people like that. I have not noticed any fewer people on cellphones since the law was put into place. Some feel their phone call is more important than other lives and a law will never change that.

Anonymous

• I'm not from California, but I'd love to see all states adopt that policy. I know a few cities in Ohio (where I live) have banned it and you'll get pulled over. I think it's incredibly dangerous and common sense should prevail over the need to make a call.
    Anonymous

• It's sooo unsafe. They just had a show on Dr. Phil a couple weeks ago about using a cell phone while driving... a girl went out on St. Patricks Day of 07' (which was the night my son was born...very scary) and a boy that was reading a txt ran right throu a red light and killed her...she was only like 20 or something like that..... There are laws like this to save lives!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• LIke any law, the law abiding follow it, the rest of the population ignores it. Simply passing a law that says "such and such is illegal" doesn't mean squat. There has to be enforcement. One simple thing would be to require an accident investigation to determine if there was ANY form of distracted driving, putting that info against the driver's record and then allowing the insurance companies to heap an extra fee on top of that driver.

And yes, I am aware of just how many drivers don't bother with the "mandatory" insurance. My husband was nearly killed by one and spent 11 days in the hospital - over half of that in the ICU. My insurance had to foot the whole bill since the other guy had nothing. Thank goodness WE were covered with a good company. As I said at the beginning, only the law abiding follow the law.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My DH works for LAPD and he gives out a minimum of 15 tickets a day for this law. He says that people are just blatantly ignoring the law. His co-worker was killed because of someone being selfish and living in their own little bubble while talking on their cell phone.

All I can say is "WEAR A DAMN HEADSET" plain and simple. You are allowed to drive and talk if you wear a headset. "NO Texting!" If you can afford a car, gas and food then buy a damn headset already. It is easier to drive too, DUH!!! Just irks me like to no tomorrow....It really pisses me off because my DH has been almost taken out so many times because of this reason that it puts his life at risk...

Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2008