Co-sleeping/Bed Sharing parents only please, how long?

We are running out of room in our bed and our room as we will be having another baby in May. Our oldest is 4.5 and the younger is 2. They have their own rooms.

How long has your child been co-sleeping/bed sharing?
What age did you transition them to their own room?

mslksdh

Asked by mslksdh at 2:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• son always had own room and bed, co-slept until almost 3. He was also bf until 2 and 1/2. At three, we repainted and redesigned his "big boy" room, from a nursery, and he got to sleep help so it made him feel special about his room.Then it was here and there an an occasional night.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 4:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• We co-slept for my Son's first 3 months, then He slept in His bassinet in mine and my Husband's room for the next 3 months. After that, He started sleeping in His own room in His crib - obviously, He was 6 months.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• They started sleeping on their own around 2, but they still have to have their snuggles.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Mine always had their own rooms but we never made them stay in their rooms. They naturally transitioned on their own. There are several articles about cosleeping, showing that kids who do tend to have a higher level of self esteem and willingness to try new things because they feel very secure.
    In your case, you have to do it when you think its right. If its causing a problem then you can try and move them. It sounds like you have allowed it though, so it might be sending mixed messages and you will have a harder time now telling them to sleep in their rooms by themselves after allowing it to happen for this long. Just try and be patient with them. Mine decided on their own to go to their rooms by the time they were 5.

Answer by gemgem at 2:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My sons share a room with my DH. My 4.5 yo shares a bed with my DH and the 3.5yo has his own bed but usually ends up with DH & brother anyways. Until December he would always come in to my bed but we had a new baby and she's in my bed now. Now, my oldest has an anxiety issue and is terrified to sleep alone, to the point that he will hurt himself, so we have had DH in his bed a little longer than we would have like to. But we usually start trying to transition around 3...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• We co-slept with our three kids. For the first year, they were in bed with us. Then around a year, we transitioned them to a futon in our bedroom. They had their own space, but if they were restless at night one of us would climb in with them. Around two they moved to their own rooms. Right now my 8 and 6 year old share a room and my 4 year old is on her own, but we're in the midst of repainting so that my 8 year old boy can have his own room and his two sisters will share.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• We did a combination of co-sleeping/crib sleeping through most of the first year. Room shared with a bassinet and co-slept most of the first few months, then tried to get him to sleep in his crib after that. He usually started out in the crib (between 3 months and 10 months), then when he'd wake up (maybe around 1am or 2), I'd just bring him back to bed with me because I could never get him to stay asleep if I put him in the crib and he wouldn't lay down drowsy for a long time. Even after he started 'sleeping through the night' (more than 5 or 6 hrs), he still woke up around 4 or 5 am and came to bed with me until 7 or 8 am. Around 10 or 11 months, we started trying to get him to stay in the crib, but there's always been occasional co-sleeping when he's sick or sometimes if we're on a trip he wants to sleep with me or us. I'm glad we broke the habit early since he's restless sleeper, but whatever works for each family.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• We co-slept until about 9 months and then he seemed to want to go into his own bed. Since 9 months he goes back and forth, depending on his mood that day, but it's nice because if I ask him to sleep in his own bed, he usually does it without complaint. He is 3 now, btw.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• We cosleep with our daughter and she is 18 months old. We are currently transitioning her into her own bed.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 4:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011