Is it ok?

Is it okay to stop giving my daughter cereal. I have been givin her alittle bit every day for a month and lately she will barely eat a bite. It's kinda early to feed her anyway, but I was just gettin her used to a spoon. Is it the kinda thing, where once you start you gotta keep doin it or what? I was thinkin maybe I will wait till she is 6 months and slowly start givin her stage 1 foods. She is 5 months and 1 week old right now by the way.
Watcha think? :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that's what i'm doing. it's recommended that we start feeding them mushy foods at 6 months. but since they have to learn to eat from a spoon and swallow, i've been having "practice sessions" with my five month old. i started slow. like.. once in a while to.. once a day. usually for breakfast/after her bottle. now she's almost 6 months old, and i believe she's getting the hang of eating from a spoon. no exact amount just yet. just enough for her to get the idea. or until she gets irritated from sitting too long.

plus, my daughter was more of a bottle baby. i don't think she liked the idea of parting from her beloved bottle for a few spoon feedings. so i think the practice helped.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 1:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• u can if u choose but rice does make her fuller faster.. she could eat a couple of bites and be done. try puttin it in her bottles if u havent then move to the spoon.
    Anonymous

• Nope, no set rule about feedings. If she doesn't want, stop offering. wait a few weeks try again. You can try other foods or wait on that too. It's up to you. But don't worry, it won't hurt her to stop.
    Anonymous

• Putting it in her bottle is not going to do any different....

I started Kaylee on first foods at the suggestion of moms on here when she was 5 months, because she was not staying full through the night (and yes I was giving her rice cereal in her bottle) and they suggest feeding her baby food to help her stay fuller longer.

Now she has baby food (2nd foods and first....not much difference in them) for dinner and I offer her a bottle afterward, and she stays asleep all night unless her mouth is bothering her.

If you want her to keep eating the rice cereal, try mixing fruit into it, or try buying the rice cereal that has mixed fruit already. Rice is kinda bland...ya know?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• *and no, don't "force her". if she doesn't want it. then i'd quit before she gets pissed. XD
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 1:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• there's really no need for rice cereal at all.
    once babies are able to achieve the pincer grasp(one of the key signs that they are ready for solids,) you can start introducing tiny bits of food like avocado or banana.
    it's also suggest that you wait until at least 6 months to introduce solids so if she's un-interested i'd lay off of them and try again in a few weeks.
    good luck!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I started mine when she was 4 months except she would not eat the rice ceareal and her system was not digesting the 1st foods so we stopped that and discovered the oatmeal....even to this day (she is now 7 months) she will not eat the stuff off a spoon...so we give her some in a bottle with her milk once a day along with 2nd foods
    Anonymous