MEXICO & LITTLE KIDS

Have you been to Mexico with your small children? how did they do? did they get sick at all?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Travel

• We have been going to Cancun and the Riveria Maya area since they were 6 months old. They have been about 8x's. The resorts all provide bottled waher for free and as much as you want ...at the resorts I have stayed at. ( when deciding where to stay it will state that in the discription ). Also all the stores sold powerades and gaterades...so i would buy those so they would have that out by the pool.
    So I have always been careful on what they eat and drink...and luckly no one ever got sick.
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 6:02 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I went to Mexico & Got deathly sick from ice in a drink. While most Hotels purify the water, you still have to be careful & not eat outside the tourist hotels. I would call or see your Pediatrician & ask what they recommend to do to prevent the kids & yourself from getting sick from the water. Here in the USA, most of us that are born here have no immunity to the contaminants in the Mexican water. When I went to Mexico, everyone I went with took pills prescribed by the Dr. to prevent illness there, except of course ME & I was the only one to get sick. I am not sure if the can prescribe something for the children, but I would ask the Dr. Have Fun!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• We go to Mexico a lot and my son loves it! We have all drank (non bottled) water and have consumed ice and nothing has ever happened to us :)
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Yep! We go to Mexico, (where my DH's from) - Ecuador (where I'm from), and Honduras pretty frequently.
    We go to visit family back home ... and they do just fine.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Im going to Cancun in Feb and wondering the same thing!!! we are bringing our 6 month old. Thanks for asking this question!
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 2:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• We went to Cancun and the kids were fine. Just ask for bottled water and dont drink the drinks with crushed ice.

My fear was kidnapping. I used to go to Tiajana ALL the time as a stupid teen and even stupider young 20 something but that was YEARS ago and things are soooooo not the same. I was fearfull now of my daughters being taken.... could have cared less about the water.
    Anonymous

• I go to Mexico every summer and they are almost 4 and 2. It is really fun because they get to play with their cousins and get to know more about their grandparents. One thing I can suggest if you are flying is to take things to entertain them in the fly because it can be pretty boring for them. Have fun!!!
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My LO's have been going since birth. My LO's are 3y/o, 17 m/o, & 8 m/o.
    I'm also due in April :) ...I really don't think its a problem for your baby to go this "early".

Go and have a wonderful time!!!! :)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I'm an American citizen residing/working in Mexico right now with my 2 young children (5yrs and 19 months) and I don't have sickness issues with them. The normal colds and whatnot are to be expected no matter where you go. Make sure they're up to date on their immunizations, of course you probably already know that. Obey the rule of not drinking the water! Also don't give them street food it can and probably will give them awful diarrhea. Also the sun is very strong here (at least in the south) so take preventative measures to avoid heat stroke especially in the afternoon if you're out and about doing a lot of touristy things.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The last time we went to Mexico my youngest was just over 2. He did get sick, but it was a cold that turned into an ear infection. He could have gotten that anywhere. He just had the bad timing of getting sick on vacation (my oldest did something similar when he was 4 and we were overseas.)

He also likely picked up an exposure to the chicken pox and DD got strep about 3 days after we got back. Also could have happened anywhere. I don't blame where we vacationed at all - just life with kids.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:31 AM on Jan. 19, 2011