ALL DAY KINDERGARTEN

How is your child making out with such a long day? has it started yet where you live?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my daughter is in it now....its great! she loves to go to school. I havent heard of anybodies kids having a meltdown. They are stronger than u think. They like to go to school and be big kids!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 2:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Our school district got rid of full day K over 20 years ago. But, I keep hoping they will bring it back before my kids start. Half day is such a pain in the ass...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My kids had no problems with full day kindergarten. It was less time then they were spending away at daycare.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Knowing what the first grade curriculum consists of, this teacher wishes all day K was out here. So few districts offer it.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• my son is just now adjusted or adjustING. He's so exhausted when he gets home but then if I allow him to nap it ruins the entire evening/morning routine. Yuck.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My son loves it. Not really a long day when you think about it. (Here anyway) He has lunch, two recesses, and rest time between the learning.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My dd has been in since Aug 25th and shes doing great! She also did pre-k last year and they went until 1:30 so she was basically already adjusted and ready. School gets out here at 2:25. I actually think she likes school better then summer. I make her and the kids do sports and other activities in the summer so technically they do more in the summer then they do when schools on.

Answer by gemgem at 2:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• NC has had it for at least 36 years as I was in all day kindergarten in NC AND of my 4 children, 2 were in all day here in NC. The older 2 went to Kindergarten in SC before they switched to all day.
    My kids loved it. There is a rest time and any child that falls asleep during that period is left sleeping. (or were in my children's 2 classrooms)
    There are times when it doesn't feel structured because they have "center" time and as long as there aren't too many children in one area, they can choose their centers and switch during the time.
    It is great for socialization and for transitioning to 1st grade where it is full days of structured time.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• K in our school is 3 full days a week, the whole year. They have rest time every day right after lunch & recess. We've never had a problem.
    Anonymous

• All day Kindergarten? Where I live we have had full day kindergarten for atleast 30 years. 8 to 3:00 except on wednesday the school lets out at 1:30. They did however just get rid of our pre-k class that we have probably had for atleast 5 years. I don't think it is that bad but they do keep the children's mind active
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011