I got a writeup letter

because of absence for pumping without specially informing my boss, I got a writeup email from the HR/office mgr who is the boss's wife. (I am working for a mom and pop office and the wife hates me, well....)

Q: is it right for a HR/office mgr send a writeup? I thought even they want to write up me, the letter should come from my supervisor and HR only file the documents.

thank you for eliminating my headache.

Below is what she wrote:

"This is first written notice for your failure of reporting missing hours from work, please keep in mind that after this notice,
further disciplinary action will take place and may lead to termination of your job.“

kittyfat

Asked by kittyfat at 2:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• How nice of them. That sounds really annoying to me. Sorry I can't answer your question better! Bump.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• In my husbands company all write-ups come from HR.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It seems to me that they are simply trying to cover their own asses in case they choose to use your pumping as a cause to take some action in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I completely disagree with them writing you up at all. I mean, some offices require you to wait until your break time to use the restroom, but they would be infringing on your rights of privacy to explain to them that you have to go pee before you go. You should look into the laws and what-not regarding pumping at work. I never did it, so can't give any advice there.
    BrandinaV

Answer by BrandinaV at 2:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Contact your state's department of labor; laws protecting pumping mothers vary. You should also contact your local La Lache League chapter.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If they have given you verbal warnings before, they have to document those with you to show a pattern of behavior, THEN do the write-up. AT least that's how it's been for me before.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 4:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Look at the Department of Labor's website here about time off for pumping in the workplace. One of the provisions of the new healthcare reform is to require time and space (somewhere that is not a restroom) for nursing mothers to pump breastmilk. This has been in effect since March 23, 2010, so I'm guessing that they're not in compliance with the federal law. There are fact sheets on the website that you can print out to take to them.

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011