Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to take all tax refund?

Boyfriend/father of children claimed myself and our two kids, worked all last year. Supposed to get over 8000.00 back for taxes. Letter in mail today "your credit application may be denied due to the balance yu owe" 12,202.00 for a vehicle he totalled before we even met. Will they take ALL the taxes towards this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • Most likely.

    Answer by Misteh at 2:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • Yes.

    Debt is debt, and it is owed. The time frame for that is just as immaterial as the source of the assets recovered to pay it.

    Answer by LindaClement at 2:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • No they can't. It's called the revenue recapture program. They can only go after state I believe. I have had it happen.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • Yep. You can try calling the tax off set number (800) 304-3107 and getting the information from there. Be ready to have a pen and paper handy to write down the number of the company that has the off set on your husband. You can then call them and see what needs to be done to settle the debt. If they take this years return they will take next years since it wont cover the remaining amount. You can set up payment arrangements. You can also wait for them to take it, then file an injured spouse form with your taxes, or go see someone who can do it for you. If you had income of your own, and since he is claiming you and the kids, the IRS can consider the application and only apply so much to the past debt.

    Answer by gemgem at 2:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • google revenue recapture, it will show you all the statutes and limitations.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • Yep, they will.

    Answer by MKSers at 2:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • Wow, have any of the people who are saying yes ever been through this? I had a reposession 6 years ago and they NEVER touched my tax return, EVER. Revenue Recapture only allows you to take from state, and you can also contest it. I just let them take my state because it still pays for stuff. I've had a few med bills paid that way too.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • They can't take your tax money until they get a judgement from a court.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.