My old dog

I have a Pug mix who I have had for 15 years, I know dogs get old and when it's time they will pass. Well I am not sure what I should do, my old girl has gotten to where she can not use her back legs. I have taken her to the vet and they did x rays and determined that her vertibras are not fusing together like they are suppose to do. We tried one type of meds that did not work so we tried steriods but they have not worked either. She can no longer control her bodily functions and I think her eyes are going bad. She has never been able to hear so that has never been a problem. She still eats and drink as well as sits up and interacts with us still. I am just not sure when should be the point to where I should put her down. I know it is a hard decision but I know it is all what is best for her. What should be the point where I put her down.

hosein

Asked by hosein at 2:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Pets

• Make no mistakes about this: people put animals down because people don't like watching animals suffer. Animals don't mind suffering anywhere near as much as we hate watching. In fact, animals don't even understand suffering as we think of it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If she seems happy and you can carry her and she's not in pain, wait it out if you can stand it. But it's up to you and really try to get as much info from the vet.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If she can't control her bodily functions, it's time to put her down. No living thing enjoys defacating and urinating on themselves. There is suffering going on. I personally wouldn't wait until she is suffering even worse. How is that fair?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• A Vet. CAN prescribe some pills to make her comfortable on days that she isn't feeling to well. I worked for a vet. for a while. The hardest thing was seeing older dogs getting put to sleep. My husband and I have a 14 year old weenie dog, but I just don't want to put a dog down. They deserve the right to die naturally. The only way I feel like putting them down is when they have been poisioned because death is long and painful.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You need to look at her quality of life. Is she in pain? Does she have more good then bad days or vice verse. I am sorry you are going through this. I have had to make this same decision several times and it is heartbreaking.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• She doesn't seem to be suffering, she does lay around alot but she is old. Her sister who is her litter mate still gets around is much more active but I just don't have the heart to take her away right now as her and her sister lay together and clean each others ears and face all the time. Other than her sight and her back half she is still the same grouchy girl she has always been. My vet says since she can't use her back half and can not control her functions then we should put her down. It is just hard because she seems to mostly be all there still besides the normal old age stuff. I think this is the worse part of having a dog is making this decision.
    hosein

Comment by hosein (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It's tough when their body fails them before they are truly ready to go. It is even harder to let them go. But sometimes that is the most humane thing you can do. You know her better then any one else so you will know when it is time.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Is she in pain? Anyone who thinks dogs don't feel pain and don't suffer as they get older they are crazy. A dogs sole job in life it to make their owner happy and they will try and do it through their own pain. Take that into account and you will know when it's time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have always gone by 1)is my pet in pain?, 2)is my pet happy?, and 3)how my other pets respond to the illness/disability. It is always hard to say goodbye, even when they are hurting, but sometimes it is the kindest and most loving thing you can do. The best advice I can give is trust your gut. If your dog is happy to see you, eating well, interacting (even if it is less due to age) with the family and other dogs than all you have to go on is your gut. Mine always seemed to 'go away' mentally ... staring off into space alot alternating with extra affectionate. That far away look in the eyes is usually what settles the matter for me if everything else is tolerable. Old age for pets isn't much different than old age for us. Stuff stops working and they require more care. Kudos to you for not minding that extra care and for paying attention. Hugs for you, and gentle scritches for your furry friend.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• i would let her pass naturally just me tho so dont bash me pls this is a hard one for the OP
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2011