Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support and tyax return question

ok, so i got some state asisstance when my ex husband wasn't paying me my child support and they have been taking a portion of my cs to pay the state back. last yr my husband claimed both the boys and i never got any money for them and neither did he and i never saw that the state got any either. he said that they didn't let him claim the boys which i thought odd. he never found out why. anyway what my question is is that he wants to claim them both again, i'm concerned that if he claims them that his housing credit he will be getting will go to the state instead of this the case or will it come to me first?

i have been told many yrs now that i'm suppose to get paid first then the state. this has not been true. has anyone been through this? will the state keep his tax return or give it to me?

also should i let him claim them or me, i can only get the child tax credit for one of them now?

Answer Question

Asked by melody77 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 18 (5,435 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • Been there done that and until his debt is paid you get nothing. They are supposed to pay you first but it never happened to me. I got a check from the state when my kids were 14, 11 and 10 from CA. I had gotten Govt assistance for 3 mths when they were 5, 2 and 1. You can try calling the state and asking them why you arent getting it first? I never got a real answer myself though.

    Answer by gemgem at 2:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

  • When you guys got divorced did they not go over who could claim your children? If they didn't I would talk to your ex and at the least tell him that he got them last year you get to claim them this year.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.