Is this a bad idea?

Is it a bad idea to put my DS in his crib just for mobile stimulation or a change of place in the home, even if it's not nap or bedtime? Will he disassociate his crib from bedtime?!

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 2:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• do you have a play pen instead?
    ihave10kids

Answer by ihave10kids at 2:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't...we r low on funds right now, and I just feel like he gets tired of his play met and bouncy chair.
    PANZONSMOM

Comment by PANZONSMOM (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I never had a problem with it. I would sometimes put my baby in her crib for a few minutes so I could take a shower or something. She'd just play with her Fisher Price Aquarium toy that clipped on the side of the crib and was perfectly happy. It never caused problems at bedtime for us, with either of my kids.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Human babies do not need 'mobile stimulation' they need human company. He doesn't need a change of place, either. He also doesn't (and never will) need 'children his own age' or toys, or Baby Einstein dvds, or a tv set, or junk food...

He needs the continued, engaged presence of a handful of important people in his life, no matter what they're doing, even if it doesn't look 'fun' to an adult.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• What about learning to entertain himself and not being co dependent and needing someone constantly with him LINDACLEMENT, I'm sorry, I simply disagree with u on the constant presence of another person!
    PANZONSMOM

Comment by PANZONSMOM (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Okay, after reading LindaClement's answer, let me revisit this--I agree with her that your baby doesn't require the stimulation of a "different place" in your home, but I think it's okay if you NEEDED to put the baby in the crib for a few minutes so you could get a break.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I put mine in their crib and didn't have a problem

Answer by admckenzie at 3:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• yeah. i use to put her down when i need to go some place reall quickly like the loundry room or the bathroom. no harm in it. she loves to play in it now right before bedtime with her toys. she is 22 months now and she is fine with her crib not just for nap time or nite time.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 3:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Have some pots and spoons? Help them make some music. Old paper? Babies enjoy ripping things up! And it helps fine motor skills. An old coke bottle with a lid and rice? Instant rain stick! Cut a hole in to of a shoe box lid and place weird things in there so he can fill around and grab things. Money problems are not that bad of a thing, just get creative. I too think babies need alone time and not become hip babies. My children are well loved and nurtured but do enjoy playing alone at times. They are 1, 3, and 8.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• MKSers...GREAT ideas!!!!! All though my DS is only 4 months and not quite sitting up yet...he's just now starting to really grab for things!
    PANZONSMOM

Comment by PANZONSMOM (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2011