My son is 5 months and next month I will start making his baby food. Was wondering how much formula he will need a day once solids are introduced?

rpetullo

Asked by rpetullo at 3:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Initially, the amount of solid food babies eat is so small that it's irrelevant to their daily diet.

Trust your baby's body: he knows how hungry he is, when he has had enough and when he needs more. I promise you, no one else on the planet knows better than he does.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Formula should remain his main source of nutrition - so it shouldn't decrease much. My daughter drinks 20 ounces of formula/day and still breastfeeds once - so 24 ounces?, plus a small amount of solids 3 times a day. We just had her six month checkup and her ped said that was a good amount, but she's tiny (under 13 lbs) so I'm sure it depends on baby's size as well.

Answer by missanc at 3:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• should keep all the same feedings baby food is just for fun!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree with the other moms that the formula should not decrease much. My son eats solids during the day, but also still nursed about 7 times a day and he is almost 9months old. I cant help on how much formula since i breastfeed my son and dont know the exact amt he gets. I would guess that missanc is correct on the amount.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Same amount of formula.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Thank u for asking this question, I wanted to know the same thing!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 3:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Thanks for all the answers. Very helpful!
    rpetullo

Comment by rpetullo (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I know WIC reduced us by two cans at six months so in theory it should decrease,but go with how hungry he is .
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 6:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I was wondering the same also! So, when does food become less for fun,and more for nutrition??
    msparklym13

Answer by msparklym13 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Keep the same amount of formula. Babies that age should be getting up to the 32oz mark, if not there yet, and it is their source of nutrition. Do not decrease it!

@msparkly - food is for nutrition after a baby turns 1 and gets off formula and onto all solids.
    Anonymous